95 SLT 750 no power under load

'95 SLT750 used today after several years of no use. Fresh gas, performed routine service and started quickly. Starts and revs normally out of water. In water starts quickly and will run at idle but bogs down and quits within seconds of applying throttle. In water initial attempt to give throttle gave normal response but bogged down and stalled after several seconds at approx 2500 rpm. Out of water easily revs to 6,000 plus. Fuel pump has been upgraded to triple output and hoses/in-line fuel filter changed before ski was last used several years ago. After having problem today I changed in-line fuel filter with no improvement. The fact that it runs well without a load and barely runs under load reminds me of the behavior of a conventional ignition automobile with a bad condenser. Have little experience with two strokes. Any thoughts?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome.

What ‘routine servicing’ did you do before trying to run it on the water?

It sat for several years, correct?

Cylinder compression check?

Have the carburetors been removed, disassembled and rebuilt with new kits?

Is it actually running on all three cylinders? Do they get equally warm?

Correct spark plugs installed?

Out of the water the engine can easily rev up even if only one cylinder is firing. Running the engine on land is not an indication that it is working properly.

+1
    Jet ski running fine on the trailer and poorly in the water is a very common problem. You need to make sure each plug has spark, fuel, and compression. A jet ski will rev up and sound fine on the trailer. It's a combination of it not sounding wrong because there's no water in the water box so it sounds nice and loud, even on one or two cylinders running, and there being no load on the engine which lets it rev up even on one or two cylinders.

Thanks for the feedback. So I sucked it up and rebuilt the carburetors with the kit from Watcon. Reset the carbs to factory settings as a starting off point and on the first start and I could immediately hear a big difference. Sounded great. Put it in the water and had similar bogging down issue. After messing about a bit, I decided to try to run off the reserve fuel pickup and it ran better than it ever has. So now I have to fix the fuel selector issue and my MFD also decided to die during the test ride so there is that to fix as well. So, thanks again for all the great info.

+1
    I would start by checking the fuel pick up in the fuel tank and working your way back to the fuel selector valve. It's very possible the fuel pick up line for the main selector is filled with gunk. You should also check the fuel water separator. It isn't likely to cause the problem with reserve running better but it's bound to cause problems eventually if you have problems like you're having.

Thread Information