+1

Sleeve Avalable For Output Side of the Crankshaft?

Is there a ss sleeve avail to cover the rusted area of the crank where the seals ride? Or another way to correct this issue (without buying new crank)?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spark.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	453610  

Quote Originally Posted by JeffSki View Post
    Is there a ss sleeve avail to cover the rusted area of the crank where the seals ride? Or another way to correct this issue (without buying new crank)?
    nothing off the shelf. A few users on the forums have posted about custom machining that fixed it. Honestly, once you have the crank off, like you do, you may as well buy the BRP fix to prevent the problem happening again.

If you find a competent engine machine shop, they should be able to machine that crank down and press on a bronze or stainless sleeve. I know some guy here on the forums out of either New Zealand or Australia offered to do it for people in his shop as well....

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=273426&page=4

look at post number 34!

+1
    Thanks for the reply. What do you mean "BPR fix", buy a new crank?

Thinking I can just turn down the rusty end of the crank and buy seals with a smaller ID.

Thanks for the reply. What do you mean "BPR fix", buy a new crank?

Thinking I can just turn down the rusty end of the crank and buy seals with a smaller ID.
    Yes, the BRP fix is a re-designed crank with a removable output snub. You can then remove and replace your rusty part without taking out the engine.

It is about 2 grand USD in parts for the "fix".

if you are going to take out the crank and turn it down, you may as well press on a sleeve that wont rust

+1
    Def not gonna spend $2k for a new crank, the ski is prob only worth $3k.

The only ss sleeves I can find are only 8mm wide, which would mean i'd have to use 3 of them for the 3 seals. Would also have to cut off the flange on the sleeves. Also, due to the rusted deterioration where the outer 2 seals ride, a 32mm sleeve would be too loose on it

Quote Originally Posted by speed51133 View Post
    Yes, the BRP fix is a re-designed crank with a removable output snub. You can then remove and replace your rusty part without taking out the engine.

It is about 2 grand USD in parts for the "fix".
    That sounds a very expensive "fix".

Def not gonna spend $2k for a new crank, the ski is prob only worth $3k.

The only ss sleeves I can find are only 8mm wide, which would mean i'd have to use 3 of them for the 3 seals. Would also have to cut off the flange on the sleeves. Also, due to the rusted deterioration where the outer 2 seals ride, a 32mm sleeve would be too loose on it
    what size do you want? there are stainless sleeves in any size you can dream of.

https://www.mcmaster.com/made-to-ord...drill-bushings

https://www.mcmaster.com/stainless-s...drill-bushings

Since you have the crank out of the engine you can replace the pto with a press on one from jetshed for the 2014-2015 model or spin a new brp one on for the 2016 and newer cranks. The newer ones dont require engine disassembly and can be done in hull. Chucking it up in a lathe and machining down for a custom bronze sleeve is also an option which might be the best idea for salt water machines. Check the splines to see if they are still good enough to reuse the pto. A machine shop can also machine and rethread the crank on the older ones for the easy to replace newer style pto's.

Thread Information