2018 RXT X 300 won't start

Was wondering if this has happened to anyone or if anyone knows what this ticking/clicking sound is and maybe what is causing it, see video below.

This is the first major issue I have had. So before I dropped in into the slip, I started it real quick for a few seconds just to make sure that it would indeed start by the time I got to dropping it in. It started up just fine and I quickly cut it after a few seconds. Once in the slip and in the water it started right up as normal. I idled for about 30 seconds and then started cruising slowly to let the engine warm up a bit before I started going full throttle. About 20 seconds into cruising the check engine light came on then blinked as I got the Limp Home Mode but then went away. I decided to shut it off and just try and restart to see what would happen but it wouldn't even try and start, but there is now a clicking or ticking sound that will not stop unless you disconnect the battery. I disconnected the battery and let it sit for a few minutes hoping that would maybe reset things. I reconnected the battery and tried to start it again and it just does the same thing. Odd thing I noticed was that it still said reading key during the ticking, but the key had been removed for a few minutes at this point.

The only thing I've done is a SCOM and oil catch can. The SCOM has been on the ski for about 2 months and I just installed the catch can the other week but this was my first time riding since installing. That kind of made me think I installed it incorrectly but I rechecked everything and am sure that I did it correctly. I've installed oil catch cans on vehicles before and it is basically the same concept.

The other thought I had is that maybe something had been disconnected while the dealer was putting on a new intake grate because this was also my first time out since then as well. The intake grate previously snapped off while I was doing 70 mph, I was thrown off and rolled in the water like a rag doll but got lucky and walked away injury free, just really sore the next couple of days. Any chance they could have done something accidental while installing the new intake grate?

I'm planning on taking to the dealer most likely tomorrow but wanted to see if you guys had any thoughts first.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rlrayl11 View Post
    Was wondering if this has happened to anyone or if anyone knows what this ticking/clicking sound is and maybe what is causing it, see video below.

This is the first major issue I have had. So before I dropped in into the slip, I started it real quick for a few seconds just to make sure that it would indeed start by the time I got to dropping it in. It started up just fine and I quickly cut it after a few seconds. Once in the slip and in the water it started right up as normal. I idled for about 30 seconds and then started cruising slowly to let the engine warm up a bit before I started going full throttle. About 20 seconds into cruising the check engine light came on then blinked as I got the Limp Home Mode but then went away. I decided to shut it off and just try and restart to see what would happen but it wouldn't even try and start, but there is now a clicking or ticking sound that will not stop unless you disconnect the battery. I disconnected the battery and let it sit for a few minutes hoping that would maybe reset things. I reconnected the battery and tried to start it again and it just does the same thing. Odd thing I noticed was that it still said reading key during the ticking, but the key had been removed for a few minutes at this point.

The only thing I've done is a SCOM and oil catch can. The SCOM has been on the ski for about 2 months and I just installed the catch can the other week but this was my first time riding since installing. That kind of made me think I installed it incorrectly but I rechecked everything and am sure that I did it correctly. I've installed oil catch cans on vehicles before and it is basically the same concept.

The other thought I had is that maybe something had been disconnected while the dealer was putting on a new intake grate because this was also my first time out since then as well. The intake grate previously snapped off while I was doing 70 mph, I was thrown off and rolled in the water like a rag doll but got lucky and walked away injury free, just really sore the next couple of days. Any chance they could have done something accidental while installing the new intake grate?

I'm planning on taking to the dealer most likely tomorrow but wanted to see if you guys had any thoughts first.
    Sounds like a voltage draw issue, what's your battery voltage?

I haven't checked the voltage but it's a brand new battery as of June. The first battery had a bad cell in it and would not hold a charge any longer so the dealer sent me a new one.

+1
    Reading key across the board even with key in, bad battery try a jumper pack .

Pulled the battery out and put it on a charger. It was reading 12.5 volts and around 70% charged (haven’t got to ride in about 3 weeks) but quickly charged back up to 100%. I’m just taking it to the dealer to let them figure it out.

+1
    Did you try disconnecting the scom? Mine starting having similar problems. It was th scom. Removed it and it’s been fine since.

Not sure what the issue is, but I am in awe at the fact that you were thrown off at 70 mph due to the intake grate coming off.

I just got the recall on my 2019 GTX Limited and it sounds quite scary to hear that you were thrown off and rolled across the water like that. You must be young and bullet proof! If that were me, I would probably have been in the hospital.

Please let us know what the dealer finds so we will know what to do down the road if it happens to us. Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TJK View Post
    Did you try disconnecting the scom? Mine starting having similar problems. It was th scom. Removed it and it’s been fine since.
    Interesting. I didn’t even think about that being a possible issue but I went ahead and removed it anyways before I took the above video since I sent that to my dealer. The service tech thought it was a voltage issue so we’ll see.

Quote Originally Posted by ronyon1 View Post
    Not sure what the issue is, but I am in awe at the fact that you were thrown off at 70 mph due to the intake grate coming off.

I just got the recall on my 2019 GTX Limited and it sounds quite scary to hear that you were thrown off and rolled across the water like that. You must be young and bullet proof! If that were me, I would probably have been in the hospital.

Please let us know what the dealer finds so we will know what to do down the road if it happens to us. Thanks!!!
    Like I said I was pretty lucky to get out of that without any injuries. I’m 33 so I think my bulletproof days are behind me lol. I may have been slightly concussed but my entire body was really sore for the next 4-5 days. My life jacket was completely unzipped and the straps were loosened all the way to where it was barely still on once I came to a stop.

My buddy has the 19 GTX and he’s not riding it until he gets the recall complete after seeing what happened.

Heard back from the dealer today and the issue was due to a wire for the IBR being pinched bad enough, which caused a fuse to blow. They said it looked like it was a poor wiring job from the factory, as well as poor placement causing it to pinch. It's been rewired now and I should be good to go.

Thread Information