Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

2008 fx sho catastrophic engine failure

Hi, I have a 2008 fx sho with 136 hours on it.
    Had it for over a year and put 40+ hours on with no issue (apart from a water temp sensor I had to replace)
    Went out to the lake today for a late summer blast, as normal did two laps at low speed to warm the egine up then did 5 - 10 minutes high speed with no issues.
    My brother went out and did another 10 minutes high speed and as he was coming into dock the ski went into limp mode with an oil light on the display.

We left it for 20 mins and then went to try again but the engine would not start, it was turning over slowly.
    took the seat off to be greeted with an engine bay full of smoke. when the smoke cleared we had a look over the engine but nothing looked out of place. We checked the oil and the dipstick was dry!!
    Upon closer inspection all the oil was in the bottom of the hull!!!!!

Luckily we had taken the trusty superjet so the day was not lost, we even tried the kneeboard behind the superjet which was fun. the ringo behind the superjet was awesome too.

Got back and pulled the plugs out of the ski, turning the engine over I have compression on cylinders 1, 3 & 4
    nothing on cylinder #2

I got the endoscope camera into 2 and this is what i see

AAARRRRGH it shouldnt look like that .
    I spin the engine over and that piston / mess does not move.

My diagnosis is the engine is "rubber ducked"

I guess piston #2 has seized (not sure why it would have seized) the con rod has snapped and punched a hole in the sump.

So I am going to strip the engine out / down and see if it can be saved.
    Has anyone else had a similar problem and could it be saved...............praying in hope that it can be saved.

Cheers Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	190906_192313.jpg 
Views:	429 
Size:	221.2 KB 
ID:	453505  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by skydivepaul View Post
    Hi, I have a 2008 fx sho with 136 hours on it.
    Had it for over a year and put 40+ hours on with no issue (apart from a water temp sensor I had to replace)
    Went out to the lake today for a late summer blast, as normal did two laps at low speed to warm the egine up then did 5 - 10 minutes high speed with no issues.
    My brother went out and did another 10 minutes high speed and as he was coming into dock the ski went into limp mode with an oil light on the display.

We left it for 20 mins and then went to try again but the engine would not start, it was turning over slowly.
    took the seat off to be greeted with an engine bay full of smoke. when the smoke cleared we had a look over the engine but nothing looked out of place. We checked the oil and the dipstick was dry!!
    Upon closer inspection all the oil was in the bottom of the hull!!!!!

Luckily we had taken the trusty superjet so the day was not lost, we even tried the kneeboard behind the superjet which was fun. the ringo behind the superjet was awesome too.

Got back and pulled the plugs out of the ski, turning the engine over I have compression on cylinders 1, 3 & 4
    nothing on cylinder #2

I got the endoscope camera into 2 and this is what i see

AAARRRRGH it shouldnt look like that .
    I spin the engine over and that piston / mess does not move.

My diagnosis is the engine is "rubber ducked"

I guess piston #2 has seized (not sure why it would have seized) the con rod has snapped and punched a hole in the sump.

So I am going to strip the engine out / down and see if it can be saved.
    Has anyone else had a similar problem and could it be saved...............praying in hope that it can be saved.

Cheers Paul
    Had the same exact thing happen to me on my 2017 GP1800.
    The cylinder head is probably toast as well.

Very expensive to repair.

Just got mine on the water last month from a blown engine in April.

Dave

+1
    Thanks for the reply Dave, bad luck on a 2 year old motor.
    I am not shy about tearing the engine down and rebuilding but I am hoping it can be saved.
    The previous owner had the top end rebuilt after the timing chain went bad and bent the valves at 90 hours.
    I am thinking this ski may be cursed

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by skydivepaul View Post
    Thanks for the reply Dave, bad luck on a 2 year old motor.
    I am not shy about tearing the engine down and rebuilding but I am hoping it can be saved.
    The previous owner had the top end rebuilt after the timing chain went bad and bent the valves at 90 hours.
    I am thinking this ski may be cursed
    Hmmm certainly seems valve issues who did the rebuild at 90 hours? You can save it but new oem parts won’t be cheap, there are a few 1800 in the U.K. being broken for parts heads are in demand but valves could be had from a cracked/damaged head......

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
    Hmmm certainly seems valve issues who did the rebuild at 90 hours? You can save it but new oem parts won’t be cheap, there are a few 1800 in the U.K. being broken for parts heads are in demand but valves could be had from a cracked/damaged head......
    Cheers HDAV I will know the full extend of the damage once it's stripped down, if you know who / where the 1800 parts are that would be a help. The rebuild at 90 hours was when the previous owner had it so I don't think I have any comeback on that, 136 hours on the ski now.

I know the oem parts are expensive, might look at other options depending on what is needed............hyabusa turbo??

+1
    Oil in the bilge, piston not moving ...sounds like a potentially windowed block Will most likely be cheaper to find a used motor than to rebuild.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ptscon View Post
    Oil in the bilge, piston not moving ...sounds like a potentially windowed block Will most likely be cheaper to find a used motor than to rebuild.
    Yes doesn't sound good, i think the engine may be beyond repair. A replacement engine would be a good option if i can find a used one here in the UK

+1

I guess the hole in the sump was not a factory option!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190921_122709[16388].jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	454003   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180604_222225.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	163.0 KB 
ID:	454004   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	engine 1 .jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	454005  

Something doesnít sound right. First donít know if many 08 sho engines with timing chains snapping. If it did snap the SHO is non interference engine so the pistons should not of touched the valves to begin with. The SVHO IS AN INTERFERENCE engine where yes the timing chain snapping valves would hit pistons.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by scittb View Post
    Something doesn’t sound right. First don’t know if many 08 sho engines with timing chains snapping. If it did snap the SHO is non interference engine so the pistons should not of touched the valves to begin with. The SVHO IS AN INTERFERENCE engine where yes the timing chain snapping valves would hit pistons.
    my Sho chain just snapped and no damage was done to either valves or piston

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information