Thread: Oil pumps

Question Oil pumps

I just picked up a 1993 WR3 650 and a 94 Waveraider 700. They both still have the oil pumps on them and I think I'm going to continue to run them with the pumps so I won't have to mix the gas. How reliable are these pumps? What problems should I look for? And what is a good source for oil line replacements? I will be running premix in the first tank till I'm sure the oil pump is working. Thanks for any info you can provide.

+1
    I've got the same purple hulled '94 Raider as you. I've owned it since it was brand new.

I just replaced the oil lines (for the second time) about a week ago. I had some leftover, blue line that I had purchased maybe 8-9 years ago. I used this same line to redo (for the second time) the oil lines in my '97 GP1200. The GP was done 2 yrs ago and the blue line has been doing well.

The previous line I used was a urethane line that I had purchased from McMaster Carr. I researched that line on their website and I was confident that it was good oil line and would last a very long time. I was wrong. I got 4-5 yrs out of the line on the GP and 6-7 yrs out of the urethane line in the Raider. The urethane line became brittle and would just break apart if you touched it ! I was lucky with both skis in that the lines broke when I was removing and replacing the carbs during my annual carb cleaning (thanks, ethanol gas !)

I use Oetiker clamps on these oil lines. Size 6.5 works well with the 1/8" ID line.

+1
    The oil pumps on 2 strokes are just about built proof (so to speak). People get scared off because of the oil lines breaking or coming off, but with regular inspections that can be pretty much avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyual777 View Post
    I've got the same purple hulled '94 Raider as you. I've owned it since it was brand new.

I just replaced the oil lines (for the second time) about a week ago. I had some leftover, blue line that I had purchased maybe 8-9 years ago. I used this same line to redo (for the second time) the oil lines in my '97 GP1200. The GP was done 2 yrs ago and the blue line has been doing well.

The previous line I used was a urethane line that I had purchased from McMaster Carr. I researched that line on their website and I was confident that it was good oil line and would last a very long time. I was wrong. I got 4-5 yrs out of the line on the GP and 6-7 yrs out of the urethane line in the Raider. The urethane line became brittle and would just break apart if you touched it ! I was lucky with both skis in that the lines broke when I was removing and replacing the carbs during my annual carb cleaning (thanks, ethanol gas !)

I use Oetiker clamps on these oil lines. Size 6.5 works well with the 1/8" ID line.
    Danny, where did you get your oil line ? I've always used Tygon fuel line, but if there's something better, I'm all for it. Yep, ethanol gas sucks big green donkey *&^%#^%. I even quit using it in the car and truck.

Thanks for the reply. How does the Tygon tubing hold up? I was thinking of using it but I want to know what else is available.

I’m also curious, can the oil pumps be rebuilt?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bw1969 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. How does the Tygon tubing hold up? I was thinking of using it but I want to know what else is available.
    I haven't had any issues yet, and I much prefer it over std vinyl tubing. I did a kawi 750ss rebuild a few years back. It has changed owners several times, and up until the last owner pulled the pump out of fear, was still running the tygon I put on.
    As far as I know, they are not rebuildable, but rarely do they fail. From what I've seen, there's usually an underlying cause.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodsatheart View Post
    The oil pumps on 2 strokes are just about built proof (so to speak). People get scared off because of the oil lines breaking or coming off, but with regular inspections that can be pretty much avoided.

Danny, where did you get your oil line ? I've always used Tygon fuel line, but if there's something better, I'm all for it. Yep, ethanol gas sucks big green donkey *&^%#^%. I even quit using it in the car and truck.
    I bought it years ago from here: https://fuel-line.com/

I'm not sure that I can recommend their products, though. I purchased some of the 3/8" hose to use for cooling lines in my 1996 Sea Doo XP skis that I owned back then. The new hose looked great and was easy to work with. However, within about a year, the leftover hose (I purchased a lot of hose) started to get oily and slimy on the outside and it also became stiff! I eventually threw it away because it was unusable. Interestingly, the same 3/8" hose that I installed in the two XP skis seemed to be just fine without oily slimyness and it seemed to remain flexible!

I also purchased their 1/8" hose which is what I've been using to replace my oil lines. This hose has also got oily and slimy on the outside but it remains nice and flexible. Like I said in my previous post, I've had this 1/8" blue line as my oil lines for my GP1200 for two years with no issues. That's why I decided to use it a week ago in my Raider.

I’m going to try the Tygon and keep an eye on it.

Thread Information