2006 RXT help - OIL

Hey guess back again on the board looking for some advice for the 06 rebuild. I have been hitting a dead halt on my progress on taking the engine out on the water because something is wrong in the lubrication system.

- I filled the engine with too much oil because the ski was not level at the time. That caused the dipstick to fly out and create an oily mess everywhere. (Happened after a few starts but only once). After this i siphoned some oil out to bring it to the middle of the 2 indents. THIS is where my problem has started. Ever since that when I crank over the engine and it starts right away, I literally have oil gushing out of my vent valve above the supercharger.I shutdown the engine and wait 30 secs to check the oil. and there is some indication just on the bottom tip of the stick. i checked to see if there was pressure on the dipstick on my second attempt and there is nothing of concern. so just to be safe i added more oil and brought i up to the middle line again and same thing happened.- started the engine and shutdown - check after 30 sec and nothing on the dipstick.

My observations
    - there is not oil leaking out of the oil cooler
    - there is some oil from in the hull but it seems to be all this blowby IMO collecting when i tilt the trailer up all the way.
    - there is no coolant and oil mixing for sure
    - I did a compression test after the rebuild and I got 140(3)/135(2)/130(1)
    - I don't get a and low oil pressure warnings when the seadoo is running
    - When i pop the valve cover off and shine line down the chain, I can see oil in the pto cover.
    - engine is clearly burning oil because of all the oil pouring out of the vent line.

If anyone can share advice or guide me on where i went wrong it would be greatly appreciated. On thing that comes to mind is that the scavenge pump is not working like it should to have no reading in the dipstick but have high pressure out of the pto to cause this. I mean if i would continuously have serious blow by my dip stick should have gone flying again right?

Appreciate any help in advance.

Thank you

-

+1
    Sounds like someone replaced the engine with an earlier model block and did not drill the oil breather hole above the balance shaft....seen this before on here...the 05 back did not have the hole and the crankcase cant breathe without it...check and see if the motor has been replaced...

Hey darshanpatelh,

Have you happen to figure out your crankcase pressure and oil loss issue?? I am have some similar issues and was hoping to find some solutions/guidance.

Thanks in advance for any help.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboted View Post
    Sounds like someone replaced the engine with an earlier model block and did not drill the oil breather hole above the balance shaft....seen this before on here...the 05 back did not have the hole and the crankcase cant breathe without it...check and see if the motor has been replaced...
    This is very relevant, you guys need to check your block and see what year it is. Without that hole you will have nothing but problems and there is no fix except to take the motor completely apart and drill that hole, t here are no short cuts

Quote Originally Posted by suck my wake View Post
    This is very relevant, you guys need to check your block and see what year it is. Without that hole you will have nothing but problems and there is no fix except to take the motor completely apart and drill that hole, t here are no short cuts
    Hey, suck my wake

Is this hole above the balance shaft necessary on the 2005 and older skis with the TOPS valve located at the front of the engine?? I was understanding it not to be.... but unsure.

So this is what I got going on:

I purchased the a 2005 RXT with a blown motor. I rebuilt the whole thing. Took an 2003 NA block from a GTX that had a warped head but a good bottom end. Disassembled everything and checked out both oil pumps. Marked the rods their location and orientation on the crank, since I reused the bearings, crank, balance shaft and bottom end from the 03. They were in great shape. Did a thorough job of cleaning. Source three good SC pistons. Honed the the cylinders and installed new rings on the Pistons. Use the 05 SC primary cover. Sent the warped head in as a core to SBT. Receive a 08 cylinder head and installed it. ARP studs installed throughout during a super clean and meticulous assembly process. Rebuilt the supercharger with a factory rebuild kit and Riva clutch washers.

So right now I am super charged, rocking the 03 block with pressure valve still installed, with an 08 cylinder head and a 03 rocker arm shaft. I installed the head after what I thought was giving it a good look over, and before knowing about what is needed to make it compatible. SBT continues to insist that I ďshouldĒ be fine.

The ski runs great. Smooth idol. Itís quieter then my other 2005 RXT. It just smokes and consumes oil....

A leak down test is my next step.

Iíve been thinking itís got to be that hole above the balance shaft for proper crank case pressure ventilating or something to do with the cylinder head. Also I hear my tops valve click loudly when my key is installed so Iím assuming itís functioning properly. But I probably should remove it and check as well as clean it while Iím there.

Thx for the help

Ok,

So I have done a compression test and all cylinders are between 172-178psi. I have also done a leak down test when the engine was cold and the piston ended up at the bottom of the cylinders due to the added pressure from the test set (which it all not ideal for the test, because the results should actually be worse due to a cold motor and the pistons being at the bottom of the cylinder where the cylinder could be wider or not at true). The rocker arm shaft and rockers were removed to ensure all valves were closed. Cylinders #2 & #3 were between 15%-17% and cylinder #1 was at 25%. The test set indicated that these are all within a low leak level or good condition. There was a very minor surface scuff on cylinder number #1 that I couldnít fully get out by honing it.

I also removed and disassembled the 2005 TOPS valve. It seems to be functioning properly. The plunger opens about a 1/4 of an inch and allows air/ pressure to pass through.

One thing to note, when I was doing the compression test, and cranking the engine over. I had the supercharger OUT, and the hole where the supercharger slides into the timing cover was dry with no oil running out. I ended up plugging the hole with a rubber glove stuffed with some rags so I could do the test. After the test was complete I removed the makeshift plug and oil started coming out. Not a ton, but leaking pretty good. I ended up having to replug it and siphon out the oil by running my siphon tube along side the timing chain. I wasnít sure if this was a normal amount of oil to be in this area or that it is due to that timing cover area not being able to release pressure/drain oil back since I do not have a hole above the balance shaft.

My plan is to pull the motor and disassemble it so that I can drill the breather hole on the block above the balance shaft gear as well as remove the restrictor valve in the block. I have acquired a 06+ rocker arm shaft with the single oil port so that the rocker arm shaft is more or less matched with my 08 cylinder head.

I am unable to find any other information out there regarding this issue besides these, so I feel that this is my only option... If anyone has any comments or other advice I am completely open to them.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

Thread Information