Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    +1
    On my 2019 FXHO, I'm still able to give the start button a very fast tap and you'll hear the fuel pump run and the screen will boot without starting. To make the starter spin from totally off, the start button needs held down a one second and then let up. It will spin the starter and the engine starts. I haven't found this to be a problem but more just learning the new system which is reasonably easy after a day or two of riding.

+1
    Regarding the '19+ FX's ....
    Thanks for the added info... understand the fast-tap technique still works for ign wake-ups. {thumbs-up}
    However, little unclear exactly the start button actions and the actual engagement timings of the starter motor itself.... Is it that the electric starter motor does not engage until the button has been completely cycled (both pressed AND release for 1 sec)? aka, operator presses and releases the start button for one second, then ECU engages the starter motor and disengages it once the engine begins running??
    If this be the case, then electrically-speaking ... the start button is likely no longer a momentary 12v switch to the solenoid coil circuit, and rather it's now a 5V logic button to the ECU. The ECU likely now powers the solenoid coils. Can't wait to see the relevant electrical diagrams on these redesigned systems !!

After i saw the article i read the owners manual lol no mention of this

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Yamaha was already allowing the electronics to interlock with engine start process. The radio security module in the hull co-ordinates with the ECU to allow or not allow the engine to actually crank when Start is pressed.

Effectively, when the Start button is pressed, the rider is asking permission from the security+ECU to actually crank the engine.
    Last edited by K447; 10-31-2019 at 02:09 PM. Reason: interlock is a better word

+1
    IMHO, I see the legacy system working more like an interlock rather than a control. "Interlock" as-in the Security Module is electrically-positioned on ground side of the 12v solenoid coil circuit (aka blue wire from the solenoid to the Security box). The lanyard interlock is on the positive side of this same circuit (brown wire to the left hand control). So to energize the solenoid, it's just a means of satisfying both brown(+) and blue(-) circuit interlocks BEFORE pressing the Start button. The Security box retains statefullness, so the negotiation (token authorization) with the ECU really only occurs when unlocking via the fob.

I'd really like to see the official wiring charts for these newer models. I'm curious to see if so-called "operator" push-to-start button might be just a low-level (TTL) logic control circuit to the ECU (aka no longer in-line with the solenoid circuit at all) which messages that the operator wishes to start the craft, and at that point, the ECU controls the starting evolution procedure. Also, does the lanyard still interlock/interrupt the push-to-start button circuit, or has it also been moved to pure TTL logic. I'm betting we'll see some major re-wiring, from what we've historically seen. 2019&up Service Manual please !!
    Last edited by TimeBandit; 11-01-2019 at 06:22 AM. Reason: added wire color codes

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information