Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Tps question

  1. #1
    Msxslayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    183
    +1
    2

    Tps question

    Does a tps fail completely or does it lose certain rpms
    I took tps off. And moved the little rotator thingy back and forth. At about 80% to 100% it was gummed up a little
    Put it back on. And tryed it.prior. It was6300 rpm. This time it was 6500
    And couple more miles ph,

    Think tps is actin Up causin my rpm loss, iv seen it hittin 68 6900


  2. #2
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    40,927
    +1
    1,939
    Quote Originally Posted by Msxslayer View Post
    Does a tps fail completely or does it lose certain rpms ...
    TPS generally seem to fail partially. Often seems to be caused by moisture getting past the seals. Each generation of Polaris TPS was better sealed than the one before and lifespan on the engine has tended to lengthen.

    If the TPS signal output is non-linear with shaft rotation then it should be replaced. I am unaware of any method for rehabilitating a failing TPS.

  3. #3
    martincom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Brainerd, MN
    Posts
    1,032
    +1
    105
    Depending on which version of the TPS you have, the mounting holes can be slotted/oblong. So shifting it within the slots could impact max RPM. With that type of TPS, you need to be more concerned about the position to achieve proper idle. K447 recently updated the TPS sticky in this regard.

  4. #4
    Msxslayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    183
    +1
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    TPS generally seem to fail partially. Often seems to be caused by moisture getting past the seals. Each generation of Polaris TPS was better sealed than the one before and lifespan on the engine has tended to lengthen.

    If the TPS signal output is non-linear with shaft rotation then it should be replaced. I am unaware of any method for rehabilitating a failing TPS.
    Non-linear with shaft rotation what do u mean,


    The bolt holes when loosened will not shift or move at all bolts are tight in holes

  5. #5
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    40,927
    +1
    1,939
    Quote Originally Posted by Msxslayer View Post
    Non-linear with shaft rotation what do u mean,


    The bolt holes when loosened will not shift or move at all bolts are tight in holes
    The TPS produces an electrical output voltage proportional to the number of degrees of shaft rotation. Sometimes when a TPS is failing the signal voltage will jump around or not change while the shaft is being smoothly turned.

    All Polaris OEM TPS have round bolt bolts and are non adjustable. Some aftermarket replacement TPS have slotted holes, which means the position of the TPS slots on the bolts must be set correctly.

    Note that torque spec for the TPS bolts is rather light, something like 8 inch pounds? Over tightening on the TPS can crack the plastic body.

  6. #6
    Msxslayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    183
    +1
    2

    Tps question

    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    The TPS produces an electrical output voltage proportional to the number of degrees of shaft rotation. Sometimes when a TPS is failing the signal voltage will jump around or not change while the shaft is being smoothly turned.

    All Polaris OEM TPS have round bolt bolts and are non adjustable. Some aftermarket replacement TPS have slotted holes, which means the position of the TPS slots on the bolts must be set correctly.

    Note that torque spec for the TPS bolts is rather light, something like 8 inch pounds? Over tightening on the TPS can crack the plastic body.
    Yea I feel like I lost rpm at the wide open mark. Then all of a sudden It will kick In For half a sec rpm slamming the flipper down then Cut back rpm

    No way to test ohms on it to test its scale see if it cuttin out voltage 0-100%
    Last edited by Msxslayer; 09-04-2019 at 05:29 PM.

  7. #7

  8. #8
    Msxslayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    183
    +1
    2
    Exact

  9. #9
    Msxslayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    183
    +1
    2

    Tps question

    .
    Last edited by Msxslayer; 09-07-2019 at 04:54 PM.

  10. #10
    Msxslayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    183
    +1
    2

    Tps question

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9398.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	455566
    Original
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9397.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	455567
    Second one

    The model numbers are different
    Is there two ways the mount these

    The problem I got is, when I mount it it’s reving 3500
    Last edited by Msxslayer; 10-28-2019 at 02:23 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2002 Polaris virage I tps question
    By bigredram87 in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-09-2016, 03:32 PM
  2. Genesis TPS and TPS test harness Good Price!
    By Chef in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-30-2014, 05:39 PM
  3. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 09-08-2011, 04:22 AM
  4. Buckshot carbs/TPS Question............
    By SJ-(KY) in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-07-2010, 12:02 AM
  5. tps setting question...what should the degrees be at?
    By MJE in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-25-2009, 05:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •