Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by GDS View Post
    ... the wedge ... can I run with out it?
    If you entirely remove the pump wedge the water feed tube will be too long. It runs along the right side of the pump and fits into the cast aluminum pump nozzle.

If the water tube is too long there is a risk of cracking the pump nozzle when the long pump bolts are torqued. Polaris made the tubes in several slightly different lengths depending on the wedge. They also sometimes stacked one or more o-rings at the front end of the tube to fine tune the overall length.

In the past when I needed to reduce wedge angle I would stack two smaller degree pump wedges in opposite angles to get the target angle and maintain the water tube length. And adjust the short stack of o-rings as needed to get it to match up.

The pump wedge has a lip around the perimeter to maintain alignment with the pump body and nozzle. Be careful with machining the wedge, you do not want the nozzle to become misaligned with the pump while riding.

Measuring it on the ski its about .335 out to .640

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GDS View Post
    ... she is more interested in a smooth ride than speed.
    Across the three seater models that Polaris produced in later years, the Virage hull bottom is the flattest. Flat hulls tend tend to ride more harshly on rough water.

The Polaris Genesis hull has a deeper V hull bottom profile and is overall heavier, which tends to flatten out the waves and provide a less bouncy ride.

The MSX hull from Polaris was a more modern design and works quite well in moderately rough conditions. The MSX rides nicely. We had an MSX 140 for about ten years and it was quite good to ride.

I need to restate my measurements. I grabbed it from the sides. Measuring the very bottom its .240 the top is around .670 but it may be off just a bit.

The math puts that at 4.2, so I wouls say its stock and my measurments are off just a bit.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    around the 30 mph range they will porpoise with the stock 4 wedge.not so much the tx1200 the forward weight of the extra cylinder helps.the wife probably won't have isses by her self,my wife never complained about it on the 777 sx build Mrs Behavin.i also ran ocean pro ride plates which are longer than the stock batwing styles,i believe the 01's started having them stock on the plain virages,the 1200 tx's all came with the batwing version

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TxVirageTx View Post
    around the 30 mph range they will porpoise with the stock 4 wedge....

... i also ran ocean pro ride plates which are longer than the stock batwing styles,

i believe the 2001's started having them stock on the plain virages,the 1200 tx's all came with the batwing version
    Hmmm, I forgot that the base model Virages did not include the ‘bat wing’ style ride plate.

My Virage TXi had the stock bat wing ride plate for the first few years and later I changed to the longer ‘Ocean Pro’ Virage ride plate. And the R&D scoop style intake grate, as I often ride on medium rough water. Mostly by myself, and rarely as slow as 30mph for long.

GDS, if you can post a photo of the ride plate we can confirm which type you have.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-2642.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	453442  

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    batwing

The more I think about it the more I think you are right K447. I think the 8 degree difference will be too much even more so when I'm by myself.

Maybe I will flip it back and put some weight in the front storage. I have about 100 pounds of lead ingots. That will get us thru this weekend and next week I can see about making a 2 degree wedge.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information