Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    any idea of how much I loose on the top end by spinning the wedge?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by GDS View Post
    any idea of how much I lose on the top end by spinning the wedge?
    The factory wedge taper in the jet pump is configured to lift the bow and gain speed. Thinnest positioned at the top, thickest at the bottom.

If the pump wedge is missing or installed upside down it will push the bow down and scrub speed.

Be aware that the four long bolts that hold the jet pump together may not all be exactly the same length. If two of the four bolts are longer then they should be in the lower two positions, with the slightly shorter two bolts installed on top.

Can you tell me where this goes? It fell out or off when I pulled the housing with the wedge. I don't see it in a part diagram.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-2641.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	453427  

+1
    Can you tell me where this goes? It fell out or off when I pulled the housing with the wedge. I don't see it in a part diagram.
    That is the rubber end bumper for the driveshaft. There should be one on each end of the driveshaft.

thanks, I figured I would take a look while I had it unbolted. Once I pulled the shaft out of the impeller, I see the one on that end.

Ok so It's put back together with the wedge flipped over. I'm heading to the state park tomorrow with my wife joining me Friday evening after she gets off work. That will give me time to ride it, see how it does and see if I need to flip it back.

If it helps but pushes it too far, can I run with out it?

+1
    Ok so It's put back together with the wedge flipped over.
    Which way is it now installed?

Thicker edge down, correct?

No, thick edge up. As long as it doesn't slow it down too much. I want to get rid of the porpoising. If it slow me down too much by pushing the front too deep I'll pick up a used one. 2 doors down my friend is a machinist and I'll have him take it down flat.

But right now its ridiculous and no more than my wife weighs when she is riding by herself with half a tank my guess it will be worst.

+1
    No, thick edge up. As long as it doesn't slow it down too much. I want to get rid of the porpoising. If it slow me down too much by pushing the front too deep I'll pick up a used one. 2 doors down my friend is a machinist and I'll have him take it down flat.

But right now its ridiculous and no more than my wife weighs when she is riding by herself with half a tank my guess it will be worst.
    Well, you could certainly experiment with other wedge angles.

Reversing the stock 4 degree (I am assuming you have the stock wedge?) is an 8 degree change in nozzle angle, which is a huge change.

Most of us change pump nozzle wedges maybe 2 degrees at a time.

I used to ride a Virage TXI, same as Virage but the 1200 three cylinder red engine is heavier and more powerful than the two cylinder. I mostly rode solo but when I did have a passenger aboard I did not find hull porpoising to be a big problem.

I did have a two cylinder Virage for a short while and found it to be more sensitive to water conditions. With the stock intake grate it tended to unhook from the water easily even over moderate waves.

Did you check everything under the hull? The hull bottom is not warped and the bolted on hardware is correctly positioned?

Porposing tendency varies with different hull designs but generally speaking it is amplified when the weight bias is rearward. Full fuel tank and single rider it should not porpoise much at all. My TXi did not.

Everything under it is tight and straight. The hull has a couple of small scratches but nothing big. I'm guessing its a stock wedge but I have no idea. Going by part number I just ordered a used one off ebay for 10 bucks.

I'm guessing the flip over will be too much but should give me a good idea on how much change. It's easy enough to flip it back.

It helps having a machinist next door. Maybe we change it 2 degrees. I can flip that over also.

In the end this will be for my wife and she is more interested in a smooth ride than speed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information