+1

100 hour service results

Got our 100 hour service done a couple of weeks ago, and changed to a new tech closer to home.
    Good thing we did - during the service he found out the wrong spark plugs were installed when the last person did the 50 hour service.
    Also found the engine mounts were loose as hell on one side.
    Took it out for a ride on the weekend, quite a noticable difference!
    Better throttle response in the mid range and the exhaust note sounds a LOT deeper too.

Looking forward to warmer weather in a few weeks

Did they check engine alignment? Loose mounts= out of alignment which will chew up the PTO/shafts.

3. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by steve500 View Post
    Did they check engine alignment? Loose mounts= out of alignment which will chew up the PTO/shafts.
    what does 100hr service entail?

+1
    That the exhaust note should change noticeably from different spark plugs sounds pretty unlikely to me. Unless it more or less ran like crap before? Do you have the model number of the ones that were taken out?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve500 View Post
    yes he did - the loose engine mounts caused him to check the lot.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RXP-SWE View Post
    That the exhaust note should change noticeably from different spark plugs sounds pretty unlikely to me. Unless it more or less ran like crap before? Do you have the model number of the ones that were taken out?
    might seem unlikely to you, but all 3 of us who rode it on the weekend noticed a difference.
    our service bloke said the fuel delivery was pretty lean before due to the smaller spark plugs being in and therefore it was running a bit too hot - now the right ones are in, the fuel is flowing through better and it honestly sounds a bit better.
    We have an aftermarket exhaust and a tune, having the right plugs in has made a difference.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by edgelett View Post
    might seem unlikely to you, but all 3 of us who rode it on the weekend noticed a difference.
    our service bloke said the fuel delivery was pretty lean before due to the smaller spark plugs being in and therefore it was running a bit too hot - now the right ones are in, the fuel is flowing through better and it honestly sounds a bit better.
    We have an aftermarket exhaust and a tune, having the right plugs in has made a difference.
    I'm sorry, but you should really find another "service bloke", if someone tells you that the spark plugs could affect fuel delivery they have no clue at all what they are talking about. The spark plug is only there to ignite the air and fuel mixture already in the cylinder, the ratio of that mixture, is determined by the ECU mapping of the fuel injectors. Spark plugs do really only have physical differences as size, shape and heat range. Then they can have electrodes of different metals like copper, platinum and iridium but that mostly just dictates the longevity of them. So there is nothing like to small or to large spark plugs in that sense, if they fit physically and have a reasonably correct heat range they will work, it's not more complicated than that.

And if you had run them for 50h they obviously fit physically and unless they were way to cold and you did experience cold start misfires they probably weren't much too warm either or they would probably have failed to some degree and you would have noticed misfires when running the engine hard. I'm not saying that it could not have been incorrect plugs installed and that it could not have impacted performance to a certain degree and that you noticed an improvement but if they didn't have a completely wrong heat range replacing them wouldn't have made a big difference.

The Spark ACE900 calls for a NGK CR8EB, that is nothing fancy, just a standard, medium heat range, reasonable cheap copper electrode plug.

9. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RXP-SWE View Post
    I'm sorry, but you should really find another "service bloke"
    Given that the previous guy
    1) never checked the engine mounts
    2) put in the wrong spark plugs

i'm happy with the guy i got.
    We all noticed a difference when we rode it - so either 3 of us are delusional or the full service he did combined with the plugs has made a difference in how it runs.
    we have a 110 race tune, aftermarket exhaust and high flow air filter and after the service we're hearing a different note out the exhaust (which was installed BEFORE the service)

i appreciate you're commenting to help.
    but before it just wasn't running right and now it feels a lot better and we're getting much better response.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by edgelett View Post
    Given that the previous guy
    1) never checked the engine mounts
    2) put in the wrong spark plugs

i'm happy with the guy i got.
    We all noticed a difference when we rode it - so either 3 of us are delusional or the full service he did combined with the plugs has made a difference in how it runs.
    we have a 110 race tune, aftermarket exhaust and high flow air filter and after the service we're hearing a different note out the exhaust (which was installed BEFORE the service)

i appreciate you're commenting to help.
    but before it just wasn't running right and now it feels a lot better and we're getting much better response.
    I'm still curious to what plugs were put in there?

Thread Information