3 UP can't get past 7100RPM, won't go faster than 41MPH.

Hi guys, my name is Steve, first time posting here. I try not to join a forum just to post my problems BUT, here I am with a problem, hopefully you guys with a lot of hands on experience with these machines could point me in the right direction. I have owned a 1997 Yamaha Wave Venture 1100 Triple since new, I haven't touched anything to do with the impeller drive or shaft on that sucker as it's never needed it and still pulls hard and top speed no problem at 170 hours.

I bought this 2015 3up Spark with 11 hours on it- all stock. Previous owner bought it brand new in 2015, didn't get a lot of riding time on it. He gave me all documentations of work that was done to it, 3 winterizations that he had a salt lake city based dealer do for him.

The first thing I did with it when I got it home was to suck the oil out and replace with with SAE 5w-40 full synthetic. 2 quarts came out, 2 quarts went in. Oil that came out was pretty. I replaced the filter as well.

I took it out for our first ride and man, it was a good time but I was having a hard time figuring out why its only topping out at 7100 RPM. Sometimes it'll bump into 7150-7250 but otherwise stays stead at 7100 or so. I tried both touring and sport mode with no changes to the top RPM speed. It seems to run really well otherwise, lots of power from a stop, snappy throttle response in sport mode.

I ordered in an OEM wear ring and took the pump apart to replace it, the impeller had a few very tiny and hardly mention-able dings, I left the impeller alone and continued to swap out the ring. The ring had some wear on it but no deep gouges, cracks, etc.

Back on the water, same exact result.

I then swapped spark plugs with exact OEM NGKs.

Back out on the water again, still no dice reaching 8000 RPM, still stick barely above 7000.

What I can share with you are my current observations... When I had the pump taken apart, it seems as though the impeller was quite resistant to turning it by hand, I don't know if this is normal. The PTO seals don't leak at all, as far as I can tell. No water builds up in the hull.

In my mind, if it's not engine related but rather PTO/shaft/impeller related, maybe the engine out of alignment and the bind is causing a power loss? This seems to be a common enough issue to be a possible cause. A member of the facebook spark ownership group has a very similar issue, he said his was resolved finding out his shaft wasn't inserted all of the way into the PTO from factory and he was then able to hit top speed, really?

I'm not sure what to check next. I am not afraid to dig into it myself, I prefer not to spend gobs of cash to a dealership AND my nearest boat dealer is a 2 hours drive away.

Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by steve500; 09-03-2019 at 04:31 PM.

+1
    Welcome to the forum Steve. Glad you are enjoying your Spark however it should be running a little quicker than that.

What condition was the pump in?
    Were any veins damaged or missing?
    Were there any noticeable bends in the impeller?

My best bet would be the previous owner had sucked up some rocks and the pitch of the impeller is out. Assuming the Spark isn't tuned it would be a good idea to take it to a prop shop to have it checked and bent back to stock.

Assuming you are in the US these guys are supposed to be very good.

https://impros.com/store/

Thread Information