+1

Possibly buying a new 2019 FX Cruiser HO

I've never bought a new ski. Im curious as to the buying process and tips from yall on things to do, ask for and not do. Any helping comments welcome.

Do you suggest riding the ski first? My knee jerk is "of Course I should" but then again I am unsure of this process.

Delivery/Freight charges. Do you find that dealerships wave these ever or are you stuck paying this?

Trailers..... Brands to stay away from if offered by dealership? I plan on taking this ski from stl to the keys multiple times. Dont want a POF Trailer that wont make a long trip.

Things that should be included in the sale..... Kill switch lanyard, fir extinguisher and ???????? What else if anything?

ANY HELP WELCOME, I just don't want to forget anything or not do something that I should.

+1
    Note: I've never purchased a new ski, but here's what I've heard/read:

"Do you suggest riding the ski first?"

Yes, but I haven't heard of too many dealers that allow this. I would think that if you showed them you were serious and wouldn't buy without a test ride, they may.

SeaDoo usually hosts a "riders day" or whatever they call it where you're allowed to test ride most of their models, but that's only once a year and in limited areas. Other manufacturers may offer a similar service, but these are usually in the spring.

"
    Trailers..... Brands to stay away from if offered by dealership?"

Most on this forum (including me) would say Triton is the best brand in trailers. It will outlast your ski. If you see any trailers out there with "maintenance free" bearings, do not buy it. They're crap.

I assume you're in the St. Louis area? If you're only riding fresh water, a painted steel trailer would be OK, but will eventually rust out. Next is galvanized, then aluminum.

As for trailer suspension; leaf springs are most common, but torsion axles are better.

LED lights would also be preferred. They last longer and fail less.

"
    Things that should be included in the sale..... Kill switch lanyard, fir extinguisher and ???????? What else if anything?"

You should get 2 lanyards. SeaDoos come with a "key" programmed for unlimited speed and a learners key that limits top speed. Not sure about the other manufacturers, but all should come with at least 2 keys.

All new skis are supposed to include a marine fire extinguisher. Other than that, it could be extra. Some models actually include extras such as covers and safety kits. I think one of the Yamaha models includes a cover that has a built in solar charger for the battery.

You're going to need life vests, dock line, anchor, insurance?, spare tire for the trailer and a cover or a covered area to store it in.

My understanding is that dealers don't make a lot of profit on new ski sales, so the prices generally are not that flexible. I've heard you get the best deals at the end of the riding season, prior year leftovers and at boat shows.

Where you could possibly get a deal is if the dealer has incentives such as a free cover, extended warranty, life vests, etc.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    STL = ?

Not everyone knows what the local acronym means.

Generally speaking the basic trailers offered by watercraft dealers are 'ok' but not great.

Salt water is hard on trailers, right from the first launch. Buy a corrosion resistant trailer (galvanized steel at a minimum, I prefer welded aluminum) and plan to thoroughly rinse it after every ride.

If you want a 'great' trailer you may have to buy it separately, and be OK with paying more. Personally I prefer the Triton brand welded aluminum trailers with torsion axle, and generally the up-range models (with all stainless steel bolt hardware) over the base models.

The lighting connectors used inside the Triton trailers for the wiring may not be 100% waterproof (other brands are often similar). Unplug the flat-4 connector from the tow vehicle before putting the trailer in salt water, every time.

And don't be in a hurry to reconnect it when you pull the trailer out. Electricity + salt water = rapid corrosion of even the smallest area of exposed metal in the contacts.

On my own Triton I removed the tail lamps and applied dielectric grease to every connector.

I have posted about other upgrades for Triton trailers. For example, I find the factory blue bow roller to be hard on the Yamaha hull paint so I installed aftermarket Stoltz orange bow rollers.

+1
    Good info, Thanks Folks

I bought a couple last years left overs (2016 models) back in 17 w/ dual trailer at a nice discount plus got 4 year warranties thrown in for free. I personally would never buy used and never salt water ridden rigs. Jmo.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojote View Post
    I bought a couple last years left overs (2016 models) back in 17 w/ dual trailer at a nice discount plus got 4 year warranties thrown in for free. I personally would never buy used and never salt water ridden rigs. Jmo.
    I got a pretty good discount too. So much that they wont throw anything else in. I can buy the extra 2 year warranty for $800. Still contemplating that and its worth.

+1
    Should be able to get a 4 year warranty thrown in for free. Walk if you need to!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by butterbean_29512 View Post
    Should be able to get a 4 year warranty thrown in for free. Walk if you need to!

I am already getting a great deal. Already below MSRP including trailer and all fees. I would think that they would only throw in something like that at retail price to make the sale. I dont think that they are making much money as it is with what I have agreed to.

Thread Information