Lightbulb Fiberglass work on 2002 1200 STX-R

Hey there-- so I got blown into the side of the local dock and put a nice shiner in the front of my ski (second time out). I bought the West Systems fiberglass boat repair kit to do the patchwork ( here).

1st photo shows the damage-- it went through the gelcoat and pierced into the hull above the water-line.

I proceeded to sand the damage by hand with 60 grit sandpaper, as I don't have an orbital sander or grinder.
    From there I cut the fiberglass cloth into 4 egg shaped sheets and used the epoxy and hardener to patch the hole. Each sheet was layered one on top of the other. As you can see it sagged and now it is an egg shaped divot.

Second photo - patchwork after drying.

After the patchwork dried I used the fairing filler that came with the west systems kit. I only mixed half of it with the epoxy and hardener and it started to run, I should have used the entire contents but I was too cheap ( a poor man buys a jet ski, first mistake ).

Third photo shows the dried fairing filler over the hole.

I've tried sanding again by hand, but it is too smooth for anything to grab to it (i.e. paint, more filler) and the egg shaped divot is still there.

I dont think this thing will take on water as the epoxy has done a solid job but I do want this thing to look halfway decent.

Any advice on where to go from here would be appreciated thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-09-02 at 9.29.32 PM.png 
Views:	19 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	453388   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-09-02 at 9.29.57 PM.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	801.0 KB 
ID:	453389   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-09-02 at 9.30.14 PM.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	503.3 KB 
ID:	453390  

Let me out of here......I need to go on Greenhulk!
    +1
    I probably would have started by glassing the backside for reinforcement and to give something to work off, would still be a good idea to do that now. Any way , if you have an angle grinder maybe try an aggressive abrasive disc to take that all down flush or a little past. Then fill the divot with putty, take that back down just a hair under and glass over that so it is even with the existing hull. Could spot the white paint in or put a sticker over it. Pretty much each step has to be smoothed and contoured correctly or it will look like ass.

thanks - would this grinder set up be ideal to take it down to the laminate? and when you say 'putty' you mean the fairing filler that came with that west systems set up, or bondo?

appreciate the help. Im pretty green on this labor/craft.

+1
    That grinder would work (for a short time). You will need a backer - https://www.harborfreight.com/4-12-i...scs-60290.html and a disc - https://www.harborfreight.com/4-12-i...-pc-69977.html

The grinder can be very aggressive so be careful.

+1
    Did you consider getting a quote from a shop that specializes in fiberglass repair? A couple extra bucks may go a long way, especially considering you dont have any experience with this stuff. A shop would probably have a few different white paints to get close match to your hull. Not trying to discourage you from learning just saying it cant hurt to get a price and possibly learn something too.

Quote Originally Posted by TMiller View Post
    That grinder would work (for a short time). You will need a backer - https://www.harborfreight.com/4-12-i...scs-60290.html and a disc - https://www.harborfreight.com/4-12-i...-pc-69977.html

The grinder can be very aggressive so be careful.
    Thanks - bought this abrasive disc for the grinder like you said in your first post. But I can return and get the backer and sand paper discs if you think that is better.

Let me know as I appreciate your opinion on this, me being so green and all.

Quote Originally Posted by TMiller View Post
    Did you consider getting a quote from a shop that specializes in fiberglass repair? A couple extra bucks may go a long way, especially considering you dont have any experience with this stuff. A shop would probably have a few different white paints to get close match to your hull. Not trying to discourage you from learning just saying it cant hurt to get a price and possibly learn something too.
    I have not. I would really like to take the opportunity to learn, this being above the water line I feel like I can really learn here in case I run into bigger issues ( yeah I need to slow down and use the current to my advantage when approaching the dock/seawall).

For paint (if and when I get there) I was thinking about taking it to an auto body shop to see if they could match the white and just have them paint the area and clear coat it, but who knows.

Thread Information