Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2004 Kawasaki STX - 12F/15F - Cooling system design flaw sank my ski!

Hi All:

Had the luxury of getting stranded over the weekend when the aluminum cooling port off the back of the cylinder head ROTTED off. The port fed cooling water to the mufflers. Pretty much filled up the hull internally and the ski basically sank itself. Yes they will run with water up to the fresh air intake. Looks like Kawasaki redesigned the piece to now include a brass nipple. For those of you out there with this vintage ski-BEWARE. Not only is this a really dangerous design flaw, there is nothing you can do to prevent it. BTW,this is a 100% fresh water ski.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3687.JPG 
Views:	387 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	453372   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3697.JPG 
Views:	376 
Size:	128.6 KB 
ID:	453373   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3691.JPG 
Views:	392 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	453371  

Yep.

I bought an an-6 ORB reamer. Gonna put two low profile fittings in the head and tee them together.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    I considered tapping them and running 90 degree AN fittings on the end but ultimately didn't want to cut the head. Riva used 2 square blocks with straight barb fittings for the old supercharged skis.

Sean

+1
    Yup.. When people ask on here or Facebook what to look for I always tell them to replace that pipe with the new one. As you've seen it rots away pretty easily... The most important thing though is to always add an electric bilge pump when you get any brand PWC because you never know when the hull you're sitting on is gonna flood. Glad you're ok though, good luck with the repair..

5. +1 by:

+1
    Bummer! Sadly, Kawasaki doesn't use the best materials for exposure to water. Corrosion in exhaust and cooling systems is all too common, even in fresh water.

Thanks for the warning!

The head I am modding is corroded in the o ring area a bit.

Thanks Rescue1, all is good other than a bruised ego. I have three of these Kawasakis and it sucks. Great advice regarding the bilge pump. Intend to install one or at a minimum carry one of those small hand pumps. I had to bail the the hull out with the cap off the fire extinguisher pocket. I guessed around 40 gallons worth by hand. Took about an hour and half and the water was steaming hot!

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Bummer! Sadly, Kawasaki doesn't use the best materials for exposure to water. Corrosion in exhaust and cooling systems is all too common, even in fresh water.

Thanks for the warning!
    They replaced that part with the new version which has the barb on it in like 07.

The real problem part is the crank pto cover which requires coupler removal to replace.

Sean

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    They replaced that part with the new version which has the barb on it in like 07.

The real problem part is the crank pto cover which requires coupler removal to replace.

Sean
    The real problem is people need to learn how to flush and post ride maintain there skies.... blaming something that is 15years old and calling it design flaw is just a stupid comment.... marine environments are harsh plain and simple....

^^^ this

My issue with the design is the replacement part is freaking expensive for what it is. I mean, I know it sounds whiney bitch of me, but that manifold should NOT cost 100+ bucks.

12. +1 by:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information