Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    No doubt, all mechanical components have a service life, add salt, water, and heat and that drops drastically. With some care that can be extended but it still has a finite lifespan.

I don't know of a coating that will handle abrasion, heat, salt, and water with other unmentionables in it without breaking down.

Eventually you get down to aluminum where best case, the coating goes away completely and you can flush the naked ally witout trapping stuff between the coating and metal.

Much more likely is that you get a pocket of trapped crap which sits and festers which can't be flushed without removing and reinstalling it. Its just a matter of time before it rots through.

The ski above was an 04 like my nasty 15f was, I found the water manifold to be toast when I took the head off to port it. I bought that ski for $500 in 2008 and 4 years without flushing and sitting on a floating dock in salt is all it lasted. Same story with the exhaust manifold, waterbox, and pto cover.

By contrast, my 04 12f was fine until 2 years ago and would have lasted another couple years but I replaced the parts as preventative maintenance.

Sean

I have an early (like first year IIRC) 12f (the "sow's ear" project boat I post about) that the entire manifold was just....gone. It was corroded so badly that the holes were plugged. And I got a 15f that the nipple rotted off, and it corroded the head. 12f head looks great.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by raven007 View Post
    I have an early (like first year IIRC) 12f (the "sow's ear" project boat I post about) that the entire manifold was just....gone. It was corroded so badly that the holes were plugged. And I got a 15f that the nipple rotted off, and it corroded the head. 12f head looks great.
    The head on mine was fine as well.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by MCorLLC View Post
    Hi All:

Had the luxury of getting stranded over the weekend when the aluminum cooling port off the back of the cylinder head ROTTED off. The port fed cooling water to the mufflers. Pretty much filled up the hull internally and the ski basically sank itself. Yes they will run with water up to the fresh air intake. Looks like Kawasaki redesigned the piece to now include a brass nipple. For those of you out there with this vintage ski-BEWARE. Not only is this a really dangerous design flaw, there is nothing you can do to prevent it. BTW,this is a 100% fresh water ski.

All i can say is ...wow. Without seeing this i would never have known...mines a 2004 and im original owner. Is there any sign that failure is coming? This looks like a PITA to change out.

+1
    The two nipples on the generator housing cover are also susceptible to this. Had one break the other day when I was removing a hose. Unfortunately unrepairable as they are cast into the cover.

-Greg

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by boudin View Post
    nipples on the generator housing cover are also susceptible to this. Had one break the other day when I was removing a hose.
    ------------------------------------------
    Couldn't have been a more convenient place to have discovered that.

Certainly much better being in your garage vs. 25 miles away from your Launch Ramp.

PS - My riding friend's NA Kawasaki was certainly showing signs of corrosion in this area as well.

Reference:

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post2855932

+1
    Here you go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7369.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	455741  

Here you go.
    That sux. I looked at mine last weekend. I still have decent meat on the nipple but there is corrosion. Ive never had a flow problem or heat problem. But i flush at home after every ride and ride in the CA delta or lakes only. Ocean only twice like 12 years ago. Im down to try any flush to clean things out. Ive seen a mention of dawn, vinegar overnight. Is there nothing u can use that just eats it immediately? Also vinegar overnight sounds harsh on aluminum. Dont u risk making more problems arise?

+1
    You can drill and tap the cover for a 1/8npt to hose fitting adapter but it will restrict the flow a bit. I looked into fabricating a replacement cover with 1/4npt threads but it was going to be too expensive to justify.

Sean

+1
    Here you go.
    I know I can weld a turned fitting back on that thing, or even an NPT bung on there. However it all has to come apart. Might just be worth it to find another one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information