1997 1100stx misfire

hey guys

so I had the ski out on the water this weekend and it still won't go any faster than 35. but I think I narrowed my problem down...

cylinder 2 is not firing and I can't figure out what the problem is, the compression in the cylinders is 126psi, all three cylinders are getting good spark and I just rebuilt the carbs.

while its running and you look in the carb on cylinder 2 you can see fuel coming out of what I assume is the main jet.

I just can't figure out why cylinder 2 is not firing any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Schultzee21 View Post
    hey guys

so I had the ski out on the water this weekend and it still won't go any faster than 35. but I think I narrowed my problem down...

cylinder 2 is not firing and I can't figure out what the problem is, the compression in the cylinders is 126psi, all three cylinders are getting good spark and I just rebuilt the carbs.

while its running and you look in the carb on cylinder 2 you can see fuel coming out of what I assume is the main jet.

I just can't figure out why cylinder 2 is not firing any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks guys!
    I don't know anything about your ski but does each cylinder have it's own coil? If so swap cylinder 2 with another cylinder. If the misfire moves to the new cylinder then you know the coil is bad.

Im fairly sure they don't have their own coils but ill head out and give that a try !

+1
    Yes, each cyl. has it's own coil. They are in the electrical box. try trimming the plug lead about 1/2". Have you tried new plugs, or at least swapping them around to make sure it's not the plugs ? Could be the plug lead is bad and needs to be replaced. Just get some solid core wire and do all 3. You can do a ohm check to verify the coils them selves are good. Are you sure it's not fuel related ? The oil check valves on those carbs can stick and that will fill the carb with oil. You can try putting some premix down that carb to see if it fires off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	electrical sys test 4.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	453356  

I think it might be fuel related more than electrical, I've replaced the plugs and did a spark test and each cylinder is getting good spark but ill try switching the coils around to see if that helps,

when I rebuilt the carbs I found the High and Low settings for the carb as recommended by Kawasaki and I set it to those specs, I just have no idea where else to look

Thread Information