Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

+1

2002 Kawasaki stx1100di no spark....

Hello all you great kawi guys....I'm been messing with sea doos and got a smoking deal on a pair of kawi
    ..fuel injection ones....one runs the other don't...no spark...I don't know anything about these machines other than the fact that water cools the emm... ecu...thanks for the advice in advance...

+1
    I'm guessing the emm... anyone have a better guess...???

+1
    I would check to see if the injectors are firing. You can here them click when cranking. If not, might check the crank sensor.

+1
    Having two (with one running) is a real luxury.

Start by swapping the EMM as a quick test (but don't leave it like that as the injectors must be matched).

FYI no spark is a very common EMM issue, especially with the Ficht Kawi's for some reason.
    Last edited by K447; 09-01-2019 at 11:16 AM.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    not to argue with the master, but with two running skis, MY first move would be the crank sensor. Kawasaki's have alot of failures there. you can try a gentle wiggle where the wire enters the cps on the stator housing. it's a one bolt quick test to swap them out..

if the fuel pump is running when you crank the engine, it's not the cps, as it takes that signal to start the fuel pump

if you want to play emm musical chairs, remove the running emm and replace it with the non running ecm, don't hook a running emm up to a ski with the possibility of an electrical problem

after that you need a good digital voltmeter and visit the Polaris pages ( see signature linkage) where the stator measurements and general emm troubleshooting is found.

another quick test is to disconnect ONE of the injector plugs. If the engine fires check the stator output next, then if that's in line, the emm goes off to lakeside.

that's another common problem on kawasaki emms'

+1
    I agree with everything you said Captain . I am just quick to blame the EMM because no spark is the #1 failure mode in a Kawi EMM

Edit: A faulty CPS could give the EMM bogus RPM info and allow the fuel pump to turn on, so I have to disagree with you on that subject. I can turn on the fuel pump by waving a socket over the top of the CPS

+1
    True, but a open cps circuit wouldn't, on the other hand was there a check engine light involved?..I don't recall...

yeah minimum info on the entire deal.

if no check engine indication skip the cps.

great tip on sliding the socket over the cps to trigger the fuel pump. That comes in handy in a number of ways

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    True, but a open cps circuit wouldn't, on the other hand was there a check engine light involved?..I don't recall...

yeah minimum info on the entire deal.

if no check engine indication skip the cps.

great tip on sliding the socket over the cps to trigger the fuel pump. That comes in handy in a number of ways
    FWIW the EMM doesn't really qualify the CPS signal. Most of the time error code 16 (CPS malfunction) is misleading. And in fact Polaris doesn't have a code 16 in their FICHT version.

+1
    What I've encountered mostly on Kawasaki is that the cps leads, if not in the bendy clip provided, will eventually fail from vibration right at the CPS body, typically a check engine triggered by the open circuit, hence the advice to wiggle the wire there.

for those of you following along, there are reasons for every single clip and fastener in a watercraft. don't get lazy. it will cost you at some point.

11. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information