Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vins and ecus??

+1

Vins and ecus??

Hey gents when swapping ecus can the vin number be programmed into the ecu?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    if it is a factory new ecu you will have an opportunity to enter a VIN#, its a one time deal. I dunno maybe buds can change the number once set, but candoo cannot. I replaced a pair of ecu's a couple of seasons ago and candoo prompted it was a new ecu and wanted the vin number as it appeared that at least on the seadoo boat, the vin# was key in specifying engine functions ( safe assumption it was for the console support). may not apply to other watercraft. Just some background.

somebody with buds will surely comment on this.

+1
    So here’s problem
    i switched out my ecu for another year that has a tuning License attached to it. Take it to the dealer the marry the cluster and ecu with buds 2. Go out test stock tunes with the limiters removed is installed in the ecu. Go to hook up ecu swap to a filter tune. Will not flash and it’s showing another vin as which I believe is the sea doos original.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 05_RXP View Post
    So here’s problem
    i switched out my ecu for another year that has a tuning License attached to it. Take it to the dealer the marry the cluster and ecu with buds 2. Go out test stock tunes with the limiters removed is installed in the ecu. Go to hook up ecu swap to a filter tune. Will not flash and it’s showing another vin as which I believe is the sea doos original.
    The tuning license is locked to the vin number of the original ski. If you changed it to what your vin is thats why it isnt working. Buds 2 can change the vin number i do believe.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    pesky tuning license issue. contact your vendor for some help.

I'm not all that of a goto guy on that stuff, i just got a maptuner last year and have flashed a couple of skis, and have read some of the issues and solutions regarding replaced ECU's, buds and the vendors ability to deal with it.

In the short version, you have to be able to prove to the vendor that the tune isn't actually in use anywhere if you want to install it into a different ECU then the original one.

haven't seen many unhappy endings once you get to the right people

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmicbrut View Post
    The tuning license is locked to the vin number of the original ski. If you changed it to what your vin is thats why it isnt working. Buds 2 can change the vin number i do believe.
    Looks like dealer must have changed the vin in the ecu. Only thing that makes snese

7. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    pesky tuning license issue. contact your vendor for some help.

I'm not all that of a goto guy on that stuff, i just got a maptuner last year and have flashed a couple of skis, and have read some of the issues and solutions regarding replaced ECU's, buds and the vendors ability to deal with it.

In the short version, you have to be able to prove to the vendor that the tune isn't actually in use anywhere if you want to install it into a different ECU then the original one.

haven't seen many unhappy endings once you get to the right people
    I will call Riva and see what they say. I bought a whole package used. Maptuner ecu and tuning License attached to that vin and ecu. So should have been a simple marry ecu to cluster and be on way. But I guess the dealer flashed my vin to the new ecu. Nothing goes easy anymore

+1
    Megatech buds can change vin in ecu....

+1
    VIN number only matters for Maptuner and Candoo. You can marry any VIN to the cluster I put my Polaris VIN in for my conversion.

11. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 05_RXP View Post
    Looks like dealer must have changed the vin in the ecu. Only thing that makes snese
    Exactly what happened. Buds will see a mismatch vin and allows the option to marry ecu to dash or dash to ecu. Can go either way

13. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information