Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    canadian iceman
    +1
    just wanted to update this thread. IMO....if you DO look in the hull and see NO shims under the engine mounts I expect your engine will be sitting low in the hull as every rxp 300 i have owned prior to 2018 DID have shims...EVERY 2018-2019 I have looked into has NO ENGINE SHIMS at all NONE!!!.....you MAY or MAY NOT have a vibration like I had on my 2019 however I also found that my driveshaft was BENT yes you read correctly BENT right out of the crate which DID have a severe effect on the vibration I felt from brand new.

Once the engine was properly aligned and the new shaft installed it is as smooth as silk....even at 9200rpm...still silky smooth. It is most likely my situation is somewhat rare however these units that have not been properly aligned from the factory may not show any issues until there are more hours on them...possibly AFTER the warranty is up. Be proactive and check your alignment it is well worth the couple hours spent! just want to keep the brothers informed

2. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by pro1200 View Post
    You won't be able to determine if you have an alignment problem just by looking at the shims. They are there to correct the inherent error between the engine placement relative to the jet pump position so each machine will have a different requirement. What you need to look for are the symptoms of an improperly aligned engine/pump such as black soot on the bilge floor, cavitation, vibration, excess water in the bilge, etc.
    I am confused still by what is a normal amount of carbon dust. At 35 hours I posted these pix of my carbon line and the consensus was that it was normal for that much time on engine. Should there actually be no carbon line ever?

Can this engine alignment be easily performed by an owner with decent skills in the garage, or is it too specialized? Where does one acquire the tool?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9689AAA8-BD5A-4CC1-9E81-36DD72B68712.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	457649   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A7039667-4E40-4953-ADEE-145844F22381.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	457650  

+1
    Just had carbon seal replaced at 11hrs. Was worn pretty bad. Dealer reckons there was a bad batch on 19 models as different part number to replace. Alignment was also out 2mm

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Superflylover View Post

Can this engine alignment be easily performed by an owner with decent skills in the garage, or is it too specialized? Where does one acquire the tool?
    Just take i to the dealer, the cost of the tools won't make it worth your while. You may also cause further issues if its not put back together correctly.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Superflylover View Post
    1)what is a normal amount of carbon dust

2)Can this engine alignment be easily performed by an owner with decent skills in the garage
    Answers:
    1) There is no such thing as normal with this shaft seal design. There are way too many variables. I finally had my tech re-position the thru hull fitting to try and reduce carbon ring wear.

2) IMO NO-this isn't a job for the faint of heart.

+1
    Clearly, SeaDoo's quality control has sunk (pun intended) even lower. That said, we all know SeaDoo does a terrible job of engine alignment, and/or the incorrect placement of the pumpshoe/thu-hull fitting. Its been like this for years.

Here is crazy Dave describing his engine alignment....with no shims used.

8. +1 by:

I hope this has changed for the 2020. I just picked up a new 2020 gtx 170 so far so good but I haven’t really tore in to it yet and checked the carbon dust. I plan on it here soon after a few more hours. It’s just one of those things with these skis and I have learned you just kinda have to work on them your self

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by whatnissan View Post
    I hope this has changed for the 2020. I just picked up a new 2020 gtx 170 so far so good but I haven’t really tore in to it yet and checked the carbon dust. I plan on it here soon after a few more hours. It’s just one of those things with these skis and I have learned you just kinda have to work on them your self
    We will check the alignment...because its a rare ski that is aligned correctly from the factory. Buy a new carbon seal now so we have it on hand.

+1
    So basically, we are lucky to get an aligned Ski right from the factory? Very disturbing !!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm37 View Post
    So basically, we are lucky to get an aligned Ski right from the factory? Very disturbing !!!
    Basically, yes. Bottom line: if you want it done correctly and somewhat quickly, do it yourself! Download a shop manaul from BRP Manuals for $25 and buy the required tools to do the job correctly from the GH Performance store, or borrow the tools from a friend. Working on our skis is not rocket science. Use a shop manual and proper tools and have patience. Some good tunes, a friend to help, and cool drinks/food solves lots of ski issues.

Or......next time buy a Yamaha! I've never seen one NOT aligned correctly!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information