kawasaki ultra lx

new to the forum here, i bought my 1st ski yesterday a 2013 kawasaki ultra lx with 42 hrs, been looking for a while really wanted a yamaha vx but bought the kawasaki as it was a good deal and not many vx's for sale at the moment around here, been searching for reliability reviews on the ultra and dont find to many bad reviews on it, other than the sc ones, do you think my new ultra is generally a good choice for reliability, took it out yesterday and loved it, im 56 and never been on a ski before then, always had kawasaki bikes and still have my zx14 with the same engine without any issues.
    Thanks Rich, Florida

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    The na kawasakis are pretty much bulletproof, just keep an eye on the plugs, oil, and fuel and they will esentially run forever.

The kawasaki pwc motors are zx12r based not zx14r based. More of less the entire cam and valvetrain system will interchange between the zx12r and the kawasaki pwc engines.

I think you will be happy with the ski, enjoy it.

Sean

+1
    I've got two Ultra LXs. Wonderful 'Skis! I bought them so that guests could ride them, and so I could take them to the Gulf Coast on vacation each year (don't want to run my 'good' 'Skis in salt water). They fit the bill perfectly! Reliable, comfortable, stable, fairly quick, and even new riders feel safe and comfortable on them. Lots of storage for a day trip, and plenty of gas, too.

I did not like the black seats on mine and bought silver seats for both. Also, there is a thread about water getting into the exhaust because they changed the exhaust system design from the other 'Skis. Do a search for 'hydrolock'. I bought reed valves to put in the exhaust system on mine, but I haven't done it yet. Also, there is a coupling in the exhaust system that corrodes. Do a little research on it here.

many thanks, had it out in the river on Sunday, it ran great, hopefully will be out this weekend now the hurricane has gone, next i want to do an oil change, i see the filter is difficult to get to will search the forum for info, thanks again Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	69354146_10157483686523529_4102023402125000704_n.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	158.3 KB 
ID:	453415  

+1
    To change the oil, I tried one of those big oil filter sockets without success. I ended up using a fairly large pair of Channelock pliers and it came off easily. Use the oil filter socket to install the new filter without damaging it. I put a pet training pad under the engine to catch any spilled oil, but none of mine have dripped noticeably.

BE CAREFUL WHEN WORKING AROUND THE OIL PRESSURE SENSOR! It's right next to the filter and easy to break.

If you can jack up the left rear corner of your trailer, or park on a slope, you can get the oil to run to the right front corner of the crankcase so you can get it all out.

6. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    To change the oil, I tried one of those big oil filter sockets without success. I ended up using a fairly large pair of Channelock pliers and it came off easily. Use the oil filter socket to install the new filter without damaging it. I put a pet training pad under the engine to catch any spilled oil, but none of mine have dripped noticeably.

BE CAREFUL WHEN WORKING AROUND THE OIL PRESSURE SENSOR! It's right next to the filter and easy to break.

If you can jack up the left rear corner of your trailer, or park on a slope, you can get the oil to run to the right front corner of the crankcase so you can get it all out.
    Thank you ill give that a try

Ive been using the metal socket and a 3/8th ratchet for 12 years, nothing work better. Buy oem filter and correct metal end cap, piece of cake

Keep that filter fresh! You don't want it to rust and start leaking.

Thread Information