Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Trim

Hurricane Trim

I ended up with an SL900 for parts. So I decided to try and add trim to my Hurricane in hope for better ride ability. I was going to add an extended ride plate, and still may, however I had most of what I needed for trim so that is where I am headed. I was going to use the electric trim off the SL 900 however it looks like the one I have was flooded at some point so the electronics are iffy. And after riding a GP1200R, I really like the twist grip trim system off of it. Here is where I am right now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4958.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	453013   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5945.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	453014   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2186 2.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	453015   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0096.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	453016  

I am trying to do this in a way that if it sucks, or doesn't work at all I can just go back to stock boat. So in the first picture I am trying to make room for the new handle while still keeping the original controls.
    2) Not much room to add a hole and trim cable.
    3) Had to have some repairs done on the old trim nozzle but it fits great
    4) finding a location for the twist handle cable to trim cable bracket.

+1
    I did that to my son's XP. The Yamaha trim system is the best!

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    I did that to my son's XP. The Yamaha trim system is the best!
    I have to disagree , Yami requires you to let off gas to "shift" position..
    I brain doesn't do "let off gas" ..
    Now the polaris trim system is so nice to use .
    I have put polaris trim on the Hurricane, 99 Gp1200,00 Gpr1300.
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...l=1#post409591

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Rider View Post
    ... SL900 ... parts. ... add trim to my Hurricane in hope for better ride ability.

... the electric trim off the SL 900 however it looks like the one I have was flooded at some point so the electronics are iffy. ...
    No electronics to the Polaris quick trim system. Just rocker switch in the handlebar and an electric motor + gearbox driving the trim rod.

The matching MFD would have a trim position indicator, but that is simply showing the approximate position of the trim nozzle. The trim system works just fine without the MFD.

KEYZBUM: How does the trim work on your Hurricane? Did it help with the porpoising problem? I am trying to get it to be more rideable. It turns great, but in a straight line requires a lot of body language.
    K447: I tried to put power to the trim system in the 900 I have and nothing. I know you can probably rebuild the electric motor assembly but this seemed simpler to me. I am really good with mechanical things, not so good with wires... And like I said, I rode a GP1200 and thought man this works great.

Forgot to take some pictures but here is the update. I was able to get the twist grip handle installed. And cables ran to it. Haven't decided on the exact location of the twist cable to trim cable bracket but have a good idea. Looks like I will have just enough cable to make it to the back and exit the hull. Thats where the problems have started. There is not a lot of room on the top side of the pump against the hull. I need to make a 13/16 hole for the cable and seal to go through. Gonna be really tight. More work tomorrow night. However, on top of all this, I rebuilt the top end of the engine. I did finish getting all of that put together. So if all else fails I can just run the stock nozzle for the weekend.Pictures to come...

A lot happened last night. I now have a working trim system. I can see this is going to be a work in progress as we came across many hurdles along the way
    Drilled the hole off to the side for more room

Came up with this idea for the cable being to the side and to create more range of motion

System installed. The cable I have ended up being to long so I had to clamp it together. It moves with a nice range of motion. The issue seems to be there is a fair amount of slop and movement. I will see how it runs and make improvements.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1180.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	453208   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4158.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	453209   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6141.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	453210   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1033.jpg 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	453211   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0941.jpg 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	453212  

9. +1 by:

I was able to go to the lake last night for the first ride with both the new trim and new top end rebuild. I went through and made adjustments before heading out and was able to get a lot of the movement/slop out of the system. I was mostly concerned about getting rid of the porpoising so most of the trim movement is down. I can now run about 32 MPH with the boat running flat. It still wants to porpoise but nothing like before and is much more manageable. If I trim it up it still seems to handle very well. Still needs some fine tuning but all in all seems to be a success. I rode around the lake for just about an hour, varying RPM and speed. Doing small wide open bursts breaking in the new top end. Seems to run well. I was down to about 75-80psi per cylinder. We are off for the weekend to do some river riding. Should get plenty of time on breaking it in and getting to use the new trim.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    the L bracket on the long pump bolt,flip it the other way.shorten up the rod to the trim itself,that way you might be able to cut the cable end shorter and rethread the shaft to run the heim joint on the end

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information