New Vx cruiser HO...mods?

New vx cruiser ho (201 owner here, previously had an 01 xlt1200 with some basic mods.
    Before yíall post ďdo a search, moron!!!!Ē , Iíve been doing some reading already.

heres my thing.

on flat water, I have no complaints whatsoever other than the speedo isnít very accurate. love the motor, enough power for me.

But Iím really not loving this Hull in chop....we get a lot of it where I ride on lake simcoe in Canada. Itís a wet ride, gets unhooked a lot and gets bounced around. We often ride close to its weight capacity as well and that may not help....even on glass, it can feel a little twitchy when loaded up.

wondering if the 2019 gp1800r ride plate and grate will help with the rough water ride ability, or if the aftermarket vendors solutions would be better? Pump fill kit worthwhile?

repeat... not looking for more MPH..just a better ride in rough inland lake water.

Suggestions?

Sorry, it’s a 2018.

I only have the 2019 plate but I can tell you, it is 100% worth it. It was so loose in the chop on the stock setup. It performs the same as the RIVA plate. The 2019 plate and grate combo will resolve what you are experiencing.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by stealth View Post
    New vx cruiser ho (2018 ) owner here, previously had an 01 xlt1200 with some basic mods.
    Before y’all post “do a search, moron!!!!” , I’ve been doing some reading already.

heres my thing.

on flat water, I have no complaints whatsoever other than the speedo isn’t very accurate. love the motor, enough power for me.

But I’m really not loving this Hull in chop....we get a lot of it where I ride on lake simcoe in Canada. It’s a wet ride, gets unhooked a lot and gets bounced around. We often ride close to its weight capacity as well and that may not help....even on glass, it can feel a little twitchy when loaded up.

wondering if the 2019 gp1800r ride plate and grate will help with the rough water ride ability, or if the aftermarket vendors solutions would be better? Pump fill kit worthwhile?

repeat... not looking for more MPH..just a better ride in rough inland lake water.

Suggestions?

Get the GP1800 Ride plate. I added it to mine and it makes the ride in the back much smoother plus it handles the rough waters better. I got almost 2 mph on top speed out of mine from my stock one.
    Last edited by K447; 08-26-2019 at 07:20 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    New vx cruiser ho (2018 ) owner ...

... the speedo isnít very accurate. ...

But Iím really not loving this Hull in chop....we get a lot of it where I ride on lake simcoe in Canada. Itís a wet ride, gets unhooked a lot and gets bounced around. We often ride close to its weight capacity as well and that may not help....even on glass, it can feel a little twitchy when loaded up.

... 2019 gp1800r ride plate and grate will help with the rough water ride ability, or if the aftermarket vendors solutions would be better? Pump fill kit worthwhile?

We often our ride GP1800 on Lake Simcoe. Same hull as your VXR, just with more power.

Where do you typically launch from?

My suggestions;

Extended Worx ride plate with Jimís cut modification. Available from the GreenHulk store.

The Worx ride plate is longer than the OEM ride plates (including the well liked 2019 Yamaha ride plate). I chose the longer Worx ride plate specifically to improve rough water ride. The Jimís cut improves hull tracking, both straight line and through turns.

Worx extension for the trim motor lever arm. Increases the range of trim angle available, really helps in the rough water and to compensate for passenger weight.

The 2019 GP1800R and 2019 VXR Yamaha OEM intake grate does help with rough water hook up compared to the 2015-2018 OEM intake grate). The stainless steel Riva intake grate is probably even better but it costs more.

I happen to have the Worx intake grate installed on one of our GP1800, 2019 GP1800R intake grate on the other.

Recommendation: The 2017 and 2018 GP1800 hulls are susceptible to hull cracking around the intake grate rear bolt area. The VXR hull has also been known to crack in that area, but there have been less reports than for GP1800.

My advice is to get the VXR hull reinforced in that area. Once reinforced the hull seems strong enough to not crack. Ours were reinforced early on and we now have over 200 riding hours on each. Myself and others have posted how-to threads and there is even a larger insert/bracket Ďkití sold in the GH store.

Thanks, guys. If I go with the 2019 handling package of grate and plate, is there any value in the pump seal kit for what I’m trying to do ie improve rough water handling?

k447, we live on the Holland River, so we ride up the river to Cooks bay and beyond.
    made a trip to Friday Harbour on the weekend

its felt like an extra choppy lake this year, compared to some others. At least the water has been warm for the wet rides.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Thanks, guys. If I go with the 2019 handling package of grate and plate, is there any value in the pump seal kit for what Iím trying to do ie improve rough water handling?

k447, we live on the Holland River, so we ride up the river to Cooks bay and beyond.
    made a trip to Friday Harbour on the weekend

its felt like an extra choppy lake this year, compared to some others. At least the water has been warm for the wet rides.
    The pump seal kit is really a kit to fill the voids in the back side of the intake grate. R&D used to make a kit for the OEM Yamaha grate, which also fits the 2019 Yamaha GP1800R grate. I bought two and installed one onto one of our GP1800 with the 2019 grate. *

R&D is no longer in business but sometimes the kits can still be found.

What the seal kit does is provide a broader surface for the sealant bead that connects the back edges of the intake grate perimeter to the front face of the flat transom plate. Especially the curved upper edge and the lower area where the OEM fingers form the rubber seal strip fit.

What all that sealing does is prevent air from contaminating the water flow into the jet pump. Air bubbles going into the jet pump reduce thrust. Every time the jet pump inlet rises out of the water/wave and then drops back in the pump has to first clear out all the air before it can provide thrust again. Air hiding in the intake grate or seeping up from the ride plate area makes the problem worse. A fully sealed inlet area maximizes the jet pump hookup (and re-hookup) in rough conditions.

* I think I have posted details and photos showing how to modify the R&D kit to fit the OEM seal rubber fingers.

Thread Information