Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2002 GTX 4-tec Dying Intermittently. Help!

Hi, all.

My 2002 GTX 4-tec dies intermittently sometimes for several minutes before it will restart. When it dies, it's as if you removed the key when you haven't. When I pop the key on and off, I can hear relays clicking down in the engine compartment, but the gauges don't swing. There are no beeps. I have replaced the DESS post, cleaned all of the grounds to the battery, where the electronics ground to the battery cable and where the cable grounds to the block. I have two keys. No joy.

I'm thinking there's something amiss in the MPEM or in the DESS auxiliary module.

Have any of you had an experience like this?

Thanks.

Just to add: when the electronics are alive and well, the ski starts and runs perfectly. The issue is that it periodically shuts down electronically and will come back to life after a few minutes.

+1
    I think I would try a known good ecu....

Speaking of the ECU, I just discovered that some previous owner replaced the ECU with the latest version, 664133. 2002s came with 664130 and it used a DESS emulator between the DESS post and the ECU and MPEM. With the newer ECU, it is supposed to be eliminated. I want to make sure that it is. Does anyone know where it is attached? I assume it's up under the steering assembly somewhere. (My jet ski is in storage. I just stopped by tonight to look at the ECU but didn't know about the DESS emulator thing.)

+1
    It's up under the steering...you may have to pull out the glove compartment to get to it..it just pops out when you push the two tabs back that hold it in...

Thanks, Turboted! I'm eager to see if the emulator is still connected. I'll report back what I find.

Lo and behold, the emulator was still connected even though the ski has the 664133 ECU. I disconnected it and plugged the main harness connectors together. After that, I would get single long beep 90% of the time and a double-beep with a good start 10% of the time. I reconnected the emulator, and the ski would generally start. Hmm. I was expecting the ski to run perfectly without the emulator. I plan to try my other key with the ski tomorrow and see if I get a different result. I'm not sure what to make of this.

I'm puzzled.

+1
    You may need to hook it up to the scanner and have them program it without the imulator...

Today, I tried my second key which is a new OEM key. It double-beeps almost all the time. When I get a chance (maybe tomorrow afternoon), I plan to take the ski for a ride. My hope is that the emulator is flaky and that by removing it, the problem will go away.

I'll report back when I've had a chance to ride. Thanks, y'all.

Well, no good. 4-tec still dies for not apparent reason. I now have a 2004 4-tec in addition to my 2002. I plan to swap MPEM and ECU to see if that resolves the issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information