MSX 140 Spark/Timing Issues

Bought a "Not Running" MSX 140, package deal with a running one and 2 place trailer. Rebuilt it , indexed the crank, replaced crank seals and a few other things. Tried firing it up and i'm getting erratic firing, backfiring. Connected it to my spark gap tester(all 3 cylinders) and get erratic spark patterns intermittent on cylinders. Hooked up to a Candoo analyser and shows that the injectors are matching the EMM but is not showing any TPS activity in gauge mode. Two previous codes come up for EMM overheat (11 Times) and coil/injector voltage errors (4 Times) Thinking the EMM is cooked, literally, as the coils and injectors are within ohm test spec parameters. Just wanted to throw it out on here before searching for a new EMM for it. Any advice/suggestions before I spend? Again!
    Thanks in advance

+1
    Does CANDOO Pro show you spark and injector timing data? And if so are they nonsense values? If they are bad then Lakeside Tech can repair your EMM.

+1
    Erratic timing and backfires are indicative of EMM issues. If your software reports the timing values, as the Polaris diagnostic software does, they will be very wild and often the temperature sensors will also report wild values. You do not want to keep attempting to start it with the backfires occurring. They will rupture the plastic, secondary, exhaust resonators by typically splitting their seams. Your hull will flood as a result, as they are below the water line.

This EMM issue appears to be more prevalent in the MSX140s. I'm going to speculate it is because the EMM is in the right rear corner of the hull and really heats up from sunlight. I've had two with this same issue.

+1
    I think it’s better to have your EMM repaired than buying another. Firstly, if u put in a different EMM you need to have the matching injectors in the original order, or have the replacement EMM re-mapped for the injectors you have. Second, if you buy another you don’t really know what you are getting. You could be right back in the same place you started.

Contact Lakeside Tech as HiPeRcO suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by Mockingee View Post
    I think it’s better to have your EMM repaired than buying another. Firstly, if u put in a different EMM you need to have the matching injectors in the original order, or have the replacement EMM re-mapped for the injectors you have. Second, if you buy another you don’t really know what you are getting. You could be right back in the same place you started.

Contact Lakeside Tech as HiPeRcO suggested.
    I've got a CanDoo so can program the injectors but thought the same; buy a used one and start over with troubles so will just send mine away. Have sent Lakeside an email.

Thread Information