2019 VXR vs. VX Cruiser HO

Hey guys, new to the forum and driving myself nuts reading all the threads and trying to decide on my next ski. I'm torn between the 2019 VXR and VX Cruiser HO. The price difference between the two would cover the cost of adding a ride plate and intake grate to the cruiser so that difference isn't too concerning. The main thing I can't decide between is the trim vs. no wake/cruise control. I ride on Long Island where the water is usually somewhat rough and there also tends to be some pretty lengthy no wake zones. Does anyone have experience/preference to either of the options? What would you say is the more useful option? I tend to ride somewhat aggressive with friends and jump the occasional wave.......however I also enjoy cruising along and covering some distance.

+1
    I use cruise control every time I have a passenger. I have never used cruise control while riding alone.

+1
    I use both on a FXHO. Trim is nice for when you have another passenger or you're trimming for water conditions. Use the cruise when on longer runs but these throttle by wire throttle levers aren't as stiff as the older cable throttles. Rough water, no cruise used. If I could only pick one, I would go with trim. You can cruise with your fingers but you can't trim if it's not there.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Erierunner View Post
    ... Trim is nice for when you have another passenger or you're trimming for water conditions. ... throttle by wire throttle levers aren't as stiff ...

Rough water, no cruise used.

If I could only pick one, I would go with trim. You can cruise with your fingers but you can't trim if it's not there.
    I ride GP1800 which has trim but no Cruise control (not yet, anyways). Essentially the same hull and features as VXR, just more power.

I use the trim most of the time, rarely is the trim control set to the Ďneutralí position for long. Trim down to press the nose down into the tightly spaced waves and flatten/smooth the ride. Trim up to soften the ride over larger or longer spaced waves. Trim down to compensate for second rider weight. Trim down to compensate for reduced fuel tank weight as the remaining fuel is reduced.

Neutral trim for maximum speed and easy cruising on flat water.

Trim also changes the way the hull handles. Trim down sharpens the turning response.

Cruise control and No-Wake mode can be useful is certain situations, but for me trim is useful often.

Don't even get me started on the GP1800, If I wasn't so scared of the rough water around here causing problems with the super charger and finding premium gas on the water I'd be buying one today haha.

You wouldn't need to add a ride plate to the 2019 Cruiser HO . It should have the updated plate. Also... with that plate, the nose rides a little higher. I have found the cruise control is ideal with passengers. Just my thoughts - I haven't seen where I'm missing adjustable trim all that much.

+1
    Love cruise on fx especially in rough water.... saves you surging the throttle in waves and lets you just hold a steady speed and tight grip.....trim is useful but you can live without either. The 2019 fx ho is the answer.......

8. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
    Love cruise on fx especially in rough water.... saves you surging the throttle in waves and lets you just hold a steady speed and tight grip.....trim is useful but you can live without either. The 2019 fx ho is the answer.......

I just found one of those at a somewhat local dealer......it seems huge! Howís it handle compared to the VX? Can you still throw it around and have fun or is it more of a cruiser?

+1
    The 2019 FX is different than the 2014-2018 FX. It took me a little time to learn it's handling from a 2013 VXR and 2018 FX. Although it may seem huge, it can be thrown around as long as you can hang on. Sure, I can do 180s easier with the VXR but the 2019 FX isn't far behind. I'd try to ride an FX before buying and a few minutes won't be enough to learn what it can do.

Thread Information