Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MSX 150 High Rev even when in Reverse

So I got my wastegate arm moving more freely and it fixed all my issues. Ran strong all day with no engine light.

Then i get back to the boat lift and it would not idle below 3000 3400 rpm at all while in the water. Made it hard to pull onto the lift. I pulled it out of the water and started it with lever in reverse because i didnt want to over rev and that didnt make a difference at all. It revs all the way up even on reverse.

So annoyed with this ski. Can anyone help?

Full disclosure i hit this huge wave from a cruise ship and the whole ski dove into the wave. No water got in the hull and it ran fine all the way back to the house but i wonder if that had something to do with it.
    Thanks
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

+1
    Most likely a PPU or ETB issue. Do you have a check engine light (CEL)? Unplug and inspect the connections on the PPU and ETB.

Quote Originally Posted by HiPeRcO View Post
    Most likely a PPU or ETB issue. Do you have a check engine light (CEL)? Unplug and inspect the connections on the PPU and ETB.

No CEL. Is the PPU in the front compartment looks like a mushroom like connector? Where is the ETB?

+1
    Strange that you don't have a CEL.

The PPU (Pedal Position Unit) is in the front compartment. The ETB (electronic throttle body) is on the top of the intake manifold.

You might also try to bypass the SIFB (mushroom shaped item in the rear of the ski near the ECU).

+1
    Hey man,
    have you checked to make sure that the throttle cable isn’t bound up? Sounds like it may be a cable issue, not electrical. The barrel adjuster on the throttle cable commonly cracks and can basically hold back some throttle cable and would exhibit a symptom like this, especially after airing it out. Get into the PPU and check to see that it’s fully seating when it should be at idle. Happy jumping!

+1

7. +1 by:

Well I didn't have a CEL when it was in the water. I'm not really sure if I do at this point because I can't keep it running since it redlines when I start it out of the water. How would I bypass SIFB? I also read that if I mess with I might not be able to shut the ski off which would be bad if it was max rpm. Would pulling one of the coils shut it down in the event it did that?

Quote Originally Posted by Ye Ol Salty Dog View Post
    Hey man,
    have you checked to make sure that the throttle cable isn’t bound up? Sounds like it may be a cable issue, not electrical. The barrel adjuster on the throttle cable commonly cracks and can basically hold back some throttle cable and would exhibit a symptom like this, especially after airing it out. Get into the PPU and check to see that it’s fully seating when it should be at idle. Happy jumping!
    I'll check but that still doesn't explain the Reverse RPM limiter not working. I start it with reverse lever up and it with max rpm. When you say get into the PPU and check it's fullying seating what do you mean? that mushroom connector in the front of hte ski?

+1
    See my last pic? That’s the PPU. The mushroom thing that you’re describing is the “PPU module.” Open the front cover on the PPU and make sure that this part is fully seated (this is how it looks at idle)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AB92B964-5901-4F2C-B74C-9B1ED6C1CD06.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	452865  

+1
    If this all seems normal, I would then be checking for an air leak under the throttle body (ETB). Either where the ETB bolts down, or a tear in the rubber beneath that where it connects to the intake manifold. You could have busted that on a hard landing, I would imagine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information