+1

High speed fall off 2015 VXR, handling?

Last night I while riding in the river I was tossed off at near full throttle. I am guessing around 64 mph. The river was totally flat with no other boats out. I was going straight when all the sudden the back of the ski darted side to side and I went for a ride. After I gathered myself up and got back on the ski, I drove slowly back to my dock. I assumed I had hit something that was submerged in the water like a log or something. I got it out today expecting to find damage to the ski, but to my surprise there was no damage and it doesn’t appear that I hit anything.

Any my thoughts on what might have caused this odd behavior or the ski. I have a Riva plate and grate installed.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Hmmm. Well, that sounds like a jet pump stuffing, but the same hull with GP1800 runs a lot faster without stuffing the jet pump. I would suspect another cause.

I suggest removing the intake grate under the hull and inspecting the hull for possible cracking around the rear bolt holes. This area is known to crack on the GP1800 and a few VXR have reported similar cracks.

Before removing the grate look closely for any indication that the grate is tilted or lower than it should be, relative to the hull and ride plate.

When removing the bolts make note if any are looser or tighter than the others. There are four bolts at the rear, one at the front of the intake grate.

If no hull cracks and no issues with the grate position or bolts, then perhaps the intake caught some bit of debris in the water which momentarily changed the hull water dynamics and forced the hull to turn suddenly. When you were tossed off the debris may have dislodged.
    Last edited by K447; 08-22-2019 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by birel33 View Post
    Last night I while riding in the river I was tossed off at near full throttle. I am guessing around 64 mph.
    Were you hurt?

+1
    I checked the ski over and I can’t figure out why I was tossed. Everything is as it should be.

I did not get hurt, I was surprised by it but not hurt.

Thread Information