Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rear most CRANKSHAFT SEIZED 08 GP1300R

2008 YAMAHA GP1300R

My story and my questions:

Bought used with only 27 hours but it was 9 years old.

Maybe it sat alot because the seat was sun damaged, so were the decals.

Impeller was stuck, Paid only $2500 and took the risk.

Installed stainless steel Riva housing for impeller, she started right up, went on 5 rides in 1-1/2 years.

All I did was carefully flush her with fresh water afterwards, no other maintenance, I was busy at work.

I thought,............ low hours, I will eventually do a tune -up............why worry

Two months ago I rode her for half a day, she ran awesome !!

Got home, did the flush with the garden hose, only half the pressure my local mechanic warned.........turn water off before shutting off engine

So two months go by.......can't turn crankshaft by hand

tore her down, you see the pictures

all 3 spark plugs look like they were burning oil

all 3 cylinders look even in the cylinders but the rear piston goes down into a dry sump cavity no oil in there !!

1) is there a passage that can become clogged not letting the sump get any oil? Can the cylinder still be getting oil but something blocking the path to make it to the sump?

Its easy to say the factory premix oil pump or lines clogged but could it be just a clogged passageway to the sump? It may take an expert mechanic to answer this one?

2) Since it appears the crankshaft will have to be removed, can that be fixed by a local mechanic or is it always cheaper to buy a rebuilt engine in my case and return my engine as the core? Its a shame because the other two cylinders and the crankshaft portion under them are perfect looking.

Thank you for your help !!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190821_194533.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	452780   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190821_194544.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	452781  

+1
    You ingested water somehow on that rear cylinder. Crank is junk. Used cranks are plentiful and pretty cheap (considering). Lots of blowby on the other piston rings. Sure it only had 27 hrs? New dash gauge perhaps? A 27 hour machine will not have a swelled wear ring. Hate to say it, you will be deep repairing that.

butterbean_29512,

Your insights are highly appreciated, I am going to contact the seller and ask him if he is sure it only had 27 hours on it.

Hard to prosecute him I imagine

I love the performance of this ski

Its one of the last majestic two strokes from what I gather

I think I will do a first class re-build and consider it a good investment for a long term keeper but yeah I think I got screwed by the seller.

I will make studying the water jackets a main issue.

Do you think I can keep the oil injection system or go block-off and pre-mix now, I love the convenience of the self oiler system........

Thank you !!

+1
    You can keep the injection. Search the forum, lots of info on upgrading the system. If the hull is in good shape it should be worth rebuilding. Contact Brian Everett on FB, he has all the parts you need to fix it up.

butterbean_29512,

Thank you again for hooking me up to solutions. I love this ski. Its a low emission with catalytic converter 2-stroke. The power and sound are amazing, at some point in the throttle up you feel like afterburners kick in and you go into warp speed.....truly an adrenaline rush. I so much salt in the piston cylinder water channels, the first owner may have not flushed her enough or at all, at West Marine they showed me a "salt off" product that connects in-line garden hose to help flush salt out. I am in for like $3,000 rebuild now, I want to learn all I can for maintenance. Do you know about its bilge pump character or should I be asking
    Brian Everett on FB to learn in-depth about this model? Thank you for everything...........

P.S.

Cannot find which of 5
    Brian Everett on FB he is with the parts? What city does he live in? Thanks

QUESTIONS:

- Does a D-Plate which replaces the catalytic converter cause any ECU/ECM issues?
    - How often does a bilge pump go bad? Should I install aftermarket rear drain plugs that act as one way check-valves, only draining in forward motion?
    - My mechanic is dropping a new re-built engine in her, while that engine bay is open and accessible, what things should I be changing for an 11-year old machine that seized with only 39 hours? I intend to keep the factory oil injection but change the lines and check valves.

Last edited by Designeer; 08-24-2019 at 01:45 PM.

+1
    Brian is a good guy.. I recently sold him a ton of good parts. If he still has it...I know he has a good crank, cases, and 2 good jugs for your machine. You will need a d plate and chip, available pretty cheap from anywhere. Check your check valves first....if they blow in one direction only, and they take considerable force to make them flow in the correct direction, I would reuse them. Clean your carbs, replace all gaskets and seals, you'll have a great machine. I misread your post...you have a 1300... Brian has 1200 parts....many parts will fit....just ask him or me. Good luck with it!

I found Brian Everett on a GP1300R specific site on the internet. Now I know where to get used parts. Thank you.

I know many people are disappointed in me but my local mechanic who also maintains my motorcycle wanted to go with an SBT engine and so we ordered it already. I went with his wishes on that.

I asked my mechanic to go through everything very carefully that is hidden by the engine and muffler, we took the advice of ordering 1/8" tygon but it is backordered for awhile, the oetiker clamps and tool came quickly.

My decision is to use the oil pump for injecting oil and take great care of it and see how that works. When I get half a day off I have no time to mix fuel/oil. I just go like crazy

I want to give back to the group, it was tough to find the 1/8" Tygon:

Fisher Scientific

www.fishersci.com

https://www.fishersci.com/us/en/brow...plastic-tubing

If it fits right and I have 50ft of it, I am willing to sell 1/2 of it (25') to anybody in the USA for $40 plus shipping.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	temp 1.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	453506  

+1
    You really can't expect a seller to have an accurate history on an 11 year old 'Ski unless they bought it new.

The catalytic converter needs to go. They caused a lot of problems on the earlier models, at least. There is a resistor (or something) that needs to be changed to make the ECU work properly without the converter.

SBT? I think you need to find a better mechanic.

Thank you Steve45 for your encouragement to obtain the D-Plate and sensor.............I already took the plunge on the SBT premium motor $2,000, so now we'll see how long it lasts....has a 2 year warranty.

I may regret it, but my local mechanic is the nicest, friendliest one around and does not
    gouge, so its a long term business relationship that he is sharing in with his decisions as well, along with maintaining my motorcycle, I looked at the big picture..........

+1
    Almost all of the XR 1800 boats have had the D-plates installed. They had a lot of trouble with heat in the engine compartment, vapor lock, etc. Even caused the waterboxes to get hot enough for the rubber isolators to come loose. This allowed the waterboxes to rub on the hull and wear holes all the way through!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information