Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ysld7 View Post
    AsAs me being in New York I just hope that they can get me through the next month and a half of riding every weekend and then in off-season I can have my mechanic do preventive maintenance
    I didn't even get one day out of mine before it blew up. Maybe you will get lucky but hoping two skis that haven't been used in a few years will run reliably for a month and half of riding is not a reasonable expectation without going through them first.

+1
    You're going to have to clean the carbs AT A MINIMUM. That is if you are lucky.

I have seen ethanol turn into gum inside of a carb that sat for years, to the point I had to scrape it out of the carbs.

Running on a hose is almost entirely worthless. I've seen triples run on one cylinder and sound fine on the hose, then they completely fall apart in the water. Running on the hose is really deceiving, because the exhaust system will sound good and loud because there's not really any water getting into it to keep it quieter. I've seen skis all have nice looking plugs, have all cylinders get warm, and sound fine when they run horrible in the water.

A crappy Windersoa rebuild kit costs a little over $100 for each engine, but you put that in there and you will be chasing odd carb problems until you sell those skis. Getting a medium quality rebuild kit should be around $50 a carb. And you have 6 of them there.

If they guy won't let you water test I wouldn't take more than $2500 for them, and most of that is the trailer. You are way too optimistic if you think you are going to buy two 20 year old jet skis that haven't been ran properly in a while and enjoy the rest of your summer.

Buying two skis you can't water test at the end of the summer is a 100% way to make sure you end up hating jet skis.

It was in the water last year and he said he put fuel stabilizer in it and drained the carbs before he stored it and took very good care of it and it looks like he did from the pictures

It was in the water last year and he said he put fuel stabilizer in it and drained the carbs before he stored it and took very good care of it and it looks like he did from the pictures
    You might get lucky. Might. That is all everyone here is saying. If you have no recourse if they don't run well when in the water then you could be stuck with 2 money pits. A long water test is the only way to know if they are running well now. Without that it is a real serious gamble.

CanAnyone make a checklist for me so I know I’m looking for to go down the list I’m going to go look at them tomorrow

I'll chime in here too, I just bought 1 of 2 2002 STX 1200R's from someone I completely trust, and knew they did all of the general maintenance every year, proper winterizing etc, and the bearing in my pump were so completely gone they were not even recognizable as bearings. My pump was completely and utterly trashed, I had to buy a used replacement pump housing to rebuild. And the second ski, had water in it and needs to be rebuilt as well. It is not common knowledge to the layman that the pump should be pulled every year and inspected... So that was $400 on top of the price of the ski, I did at least get to ride it for an hour...

Can I tell if the housing and bearing is shot by land or noI mean you said you got yours going good for an hour and then it blew so that tells me that even if I took it out on the lake for 1520 minutes it would pass my test ride and blow I know we are assuming some risk buying a used 20-year-old machine that’s just part of the beast

+1
    Only way you to know you are going to get a good ski is if you buy from someone you trust and someone you know. I've heard plenty of stuff from people who were 100% wrong or even blatantly lying to me about what they did to a ski.

From my experience, when you buy from a stranger, you have to assume they are full of sh*t and lying until they can prove otherwise. I've had dealers hose me before.

My first Pro 785, bought from a dealer. Constantly had lots of problems with it, rear cylinder always getting a 4 point seizure every year or two. Eating splines off the drive shaft. Find out after splitting the cases the guys blew it up to the point it damaged the crank case and left some big gouges in it. When they put it back together, they didn't torque the engine to the mounting plate properly and the engine moving around caused it to destroy several drive shafts and couplers.

And for bonus I go to work on my new pro, and start to compare parts in the carbs to see if the one that's not running right has something obviously wrong with it. So I check the spring for the carb on the good one, lose it in the bottom of the boat. I was smart enough to take a picture before I lost it, because I know how these things go. But I come here and start asking and start searching around, there are no Mikuni springs that look like the one that's on my ski. Completely puzzled, I let it go and just accept the wrong springs are there. From there, I go to work on my 750 SXI with Keihin, and low and behold there's a spring exactly like the one in my Mikuni carb in the Keihin carb. And all the years I owned the ski (more than 15) I never replaced that center carb spring because the rebuild kits never came with the right spring and I assumed it was that way for a reason. And all this time it was wrong. The Polaris ski I bought from a Polaris dealership.

Granted it was just that one that sucked, I had an SL 750 before that and the thing was immortal. Never had any problems with it besides running it so much it lost compression from wear. Sold it to a family friend and they STILL use it.

But the point of my story is that you can't even trust dealerships if they just tell you "yeah the ski runs great it's been well maintained!" you shouldn't trust some random dude you met on craigslist or something. Maybe for something less complex like a TV, but for something like this? No way.

+1
    CanAnyone make a checklist for me so I know I’m looking for to go down the list I’m going to go look at them tomorrow
    HELLO!!! Look at my post, #15. Some things you can look at, most will require disassembly.

Missed that sorry The fact that he ran them last year drained the carbs and put fuel stabilizer in them that’s going to go a long way right? Providing that he actually did what he said

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information