Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Purchase Question

I have a chance to buy an 2008 fx140 with 25 hours. Owner claims that even though it hasn't been ridden every year (most years), its been maintained annually. I plan on asking for maintenance receipts, test riding it and have a mechanic look at it. Am i being overly cautious? It seems like ski's sitting around this long with so little use could have deterioration related issues. Anything else on the ski's i should be thinking about?

How much? Also ski will be slow fyi

+1
    Did Yamaha even make a 2008 fx140? Weren’t they all 160 by 2008 ( the last year of the mr-1 engined fx?) 25 hours..... unless it was properly laid up after last use and kept in storage properly it’s a recipe for a dropped rod in my option....

Quote Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
    Did Yamaha even make a 2008 fx140? Werenít they all 160 by 2008 ( the last year of the mr-1 engined fx?) 25 hours..... unless it was properly laid up after last use and kept in storage properly itís a recipe for a dropped rod in my option....
    Yep thatís what I was thinking

Sorry, my bad, its an FX HO, not the FX140. That said, any thoughts about the important stuff - buying an 11 year old ski with 25 hours on it and multiple seasons of no use? What is proper storage for multiple years, draining all the fluids? How would the rubber and and like components avoid drying out?

+1
    Storage oil, and gas drained, battery removed and motor coated in oil.

compression test required, very likely the rings may have stuck and valves may have corroded and be stuck.

Not saying it won’t run or be a good buy but needs some prep work in my opinion and is still a risk. these are high revving motors 10k rpm so are quite delicate

Great engines but a few things to know or look for.
    Compression should be at least 170 or preferably over on a healthy engine using a known good gauge. Common issue is over fuelling with a bad ecu causing injector to weep. Oil often over filled because the manual says it takes 4 litres and you can only get 2 litres out the collection tank. People dip the tank when cold and see no oil then add more. It only shows oil when warm. Itís not a sump. This then causes oil blow back clogging filter at the least. Other than that...they can last well into 4 figures in terms of hours. Easily modified to give over 60 GPs too. Make sure it does late 50ís if standard. If it doesnít get you 56-58 gps and over 10000 rpm it has issues. Impeller to wear ring issues at best...or the above mentioned.

Awesome. Very helpful. Thank you.

Dear Johna56,

If this is your first Ski..... take a pass. Messing with a 10 year old ski from someone you don't know, be it a commercial owner or a private owner is problematic at best.

Most of us have been doing this a long time, and being in a YOGA position pulling 2 stroke or 4 stroke Heads is the last thing you want to be doing over the rest of the summer. Just Cleaning and lubricating can be a bitch at times.....

Did you research how close the closest Yami Shop is from you for Jet skiis? Can you get the parts? Do you like the people in the shop? Is this a popular model, thats been around for years, or did it only have 1 or 2 year production run?

If you knew the man or woman or the outfit that Owned it, for the last 10 years, you might have better odds in your favor.

Otherwise, try to find something with less than 5 years, you may have to leave NJ and venture down to FLA or a Place like Murray Lake S.C. where rich people trade them in all year long for the latest and greatest.

Best of luck to you, whatever you decide to do.

Cheers

I've been riding/owned Sea Doo's for about 8 years, and my intuition (and a little bit of experience) tells me to avoid, but i wanted to hear from people with Yamaha's. I have the shop situation sorted out, both my street and single track bikes are Yamaha's. I definitely appreciate your input and I never thought to focus my search on area's with higher AMI's.

Thank you.

-john

Quote Originally Posted by bradmiester View Post
    Dear Johna56,

If this is your first Ski..... take a pass. Messing with a 10 year old ski from someone you don't know, be it a commercial owner or a private owner is problematic at best.

Most of us have been doing this a long time, and being in a YOGA position pulling 2 stroke or 4 stroke Heads is the last thing you want to be doing over the rest of the summer. Just Cleaning and lubricating can be a bitch at times.....

Did you research how close the closest Yami Shop is from you for Jet skiis? Can you get the parts? Do you like the people in the shop? Is this a popular model, thats been around for years, or did it only have 1 or 2 year production run?

If you knew the man or woman or the outfit that Owned it, for the last 10 years, you might have better odds in your favor.

Otherwise, try to find something with less than 5 years, you may have to leave NJ and venture down to FLA or a Place like Murray Lake S.C. where rich people trade them in all year long for the latest and greatest.

Best of luck to you, whatever you decide to do.

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information