Max 140 Question

Hi everyone,
    Iíve recently purchased a 2003 Msx 140 and have been riding it the past couple weeks with no issue. However, the last time I rode it I noticed it started to bog down occasionally as if it was not getting gas. When this happened, I would let off the gas. Once I gave it gas again it will no longer bog for a while and run great. The ski still goes about 60mph and is hitting the high 6000s at max RPM. When returning it to the dock I noticed I could see a small amount of white smoke coming from the exhaust as well, which I have never noticed before. Checked the compression in all pistons and they are all good and equal. Is this a common problem? What should I check next?
    Thanks in advance!

+1
    Check fuel pressure

+1
    You may possibly have contaminated fuel that is plugging up the inlet screen of the fuel pump. See this thread for more information.

The Polaris direct injected watercraft are notorious for the fuel pressure regulator (FPR) falling off, inside the fuel tank. It is not if it will happen, but when. If you are riding it when this occurs, it'll still keep running, as there is some fuel pressure and the injectors themselves will draw fuel. However, your mixture will be extremely lean and with that, melted piston(s) will happen very quickly. So you want to be proactive and reinforce the FPR ASAP, if not immediately. You're making a risky gamble to keep riding it without the FPR being reinforced. See this thread for how to.

You have to pull the steering column support to gain clearance to slide the fuel tank forward. More often than not, the socket head bolts (3) threads will gall within the "T" nuts positioned in the column plastic housing and spin. When this occurs, I just utilize a hand grinder to grind the bolt heads off. You can replace two of the three stainless socket head bolts with hex head stainless bolts, commonly available at hardware stores, but you need at least one socket head bolt as it also serves as the stop for the steering arc.

Thread Information