Swamped GTX 260is. Is it toast?

Someone left a ski rope in the bay and it got caught in our impeller. It was late, so we tied up to our dock instead of trying to pull it up on our jet dock. Came out this morning with the idea that we'd tow it to a shallow area to roll it and pull the rope out and found it half submerged. Checked the drain plugs which are in. Towed it to the ramp area with my boat to haul it out. Wouldn't you know, they're having a 5 k race, so the street is closed to the ramp. Right now, I'm sitting, waiting for the race to finish so I can get the ski out of the water. It's sitting in salt water ... is this a total loss??

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by eugkim View Post
    Someone left a ski rope in the bay and it got caught in our impeller. It was late, so we tied up to our dock instead of trying to pull it up on our jet dock. Came out this morning with the idea that we'd tow it to a shallow area to roll it and pull the rope out and found it half submerged. Checked the drain plugs which are in. Towed it to the ramp area with my boat to haul it out. Wouldn't you know, they're having a 5 k race, so the street is closed to the ramp. Right now, I'm sitting, waiting for the race to finish so I can get the ski out of the water. It's sitting in salt water ... is this a total loss??
    If it was me,
    1. I'd pull plugs and suck whatever water is out in the cylinders.
    2. pull off the hoses to the IC and charger and suck the water out all those areas, don't forget to get the water out of the airbox and airbox tube
    3. pull off the throttle body...suck whatever water is in the intake.
    4. pull the valve cover off and make sure there isn't salt water inside.
    5. suck the oil out, put fresh oil in.
    6. spray xps lube in the intake and the charger blade area, spark plug holes
    7. don't worry about hooking the hoses back up, but you'll need the throttle body at least plugged in
    8. Hold the throttle all the way in so it won't to run, and spin the motor over like for 5-10 sec a few times
    9. Put new plugs in, connect all the hoses and crank it, maybe let it run on the hose a 30 sec or so.
    10. Replace the oil and filter
    11. run it at the ramp and get it to operating temp...don't ride it.
    12. Replace oil and filter again. You can get cheaper Walmart motor cycle oil to do this.

This has happened to others...main thing is to get that water out ASAP and fresh oil in and the engine lubricated properly.

If you do all this quickly, you should be able to salvage it.

You might want to search on this forum for water in engine....I may have missed some tricks

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    all good advice. btw the that cheap walmart oil, is pretty well rated stuff, makes great flush oil

after you get it out of the water, you should open every electrical connector and clean it up and reapply dielectric grease

get some seadoo xps spray and spray bomb the inside of the hull, then hit it with a leaf blower for about ten minutes

the rope likely would all the way up the driveshaft into the pump tunnel and dislodged the carbon seal, which is why she sank

Thanks for the replies. I finally got it out of the water and showed it to the Seadoo dealer. He opened up the battery compartment, took one look and said that it's a salvage ski. The fuses were totally fried. There was salt water in the oil. He said that, for a start, I'd need a new wiring harness that would run $3000 plus installation, then a new iS pump and iBR motor, etc. He recommended calling my insurance company who would total it in a second.

+1
    If you can get its value from insurance, is the best solution. Bcs even if you get it fixed for the moment, it will keep having problems in the future.

+1
    Insurance will likely pay 80% of book value

Call your broker now to see what they think the offer will be

Insurance changes everything

+1
    cough part it out cut it up say it was stolen cough cough

+1
    cough, buy the salvage, cough cough, that's legal, cough

oh wait...

sunk in salt water?

no salvage, cough, cough

+1
    no salvage lol. You got a hull and a motor that needs to be ripped down and hot tanked.

Thread Information