polaris slt 700 no spark

I have a 96 polaris slt 700 that has been a good machine. I hooked up a battery in the dark and it was reversed. I blew the back of the cdi box open.
    my original cdi box and coil was 501 552 .03 / 501 552 02. I purchased a 401 08 03 complete box on e -bay. Wiring is a little different but seem straight up. Only a gray wire has no home in the original to the new box. I have read and tested all kinds of options but no spark. I am not sure the original stator will work. Any help would be great. I also have a sl 700 but I have not opened it up to see the differences. I want one that work through the summer.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome.

Does this 1996 machine have the updated ignition?

Is the Red/Purple CDI wire connected to Orange?

+1
    The CDI's that only have the PVL number are gen1 -non updated CDI'S.

The 4010803 CDI is a Gen3 cdi. You will need to replace the stator with either a "update" stator which will be a direct replacement or a Gen3 stator from a newer model which will require a newer style stator housing or replace the grommet where the wires pass through the housing.
    I'm guessing the new electrical box has a gen3 coil and an inline stator connecter.

no they are not connected

The new box has a different type of coil. Only 2 black white wires to it. The old coil had 4 wires going to it. Is the update or Gen 3 stator sold as this discription? this is all from a 96 sl 700. I feared purchasing this after I saw all the updated packages for this machine. Glad for places like this that have people with idea's.

Update to this for anyone with the same issue. I ended up with an updated CDI and coil with the new box i bought. I found a supplier that could answer questions and new the number that made it correct. 4010402 is the update wit 501.552.02 & .03. I installed that and everything was back to normal. Installing the new stator is a load without removing the engine but it just took a little more time and trust in your fingers. Half the time you can't see what your doing. Hope this gives others somthing to go by. All the wires have a home and the red blue split - one to the main board the other to the back side of the reset or it won't even roll over. That was my only stumble that slowed me. It would not do anything but it feared the reset having red one one side and red/blue on the other. now to solve the gas gauge problem. another post to helpers coming. thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by PRAFKER View Post
    ... the red blue split - one to the main board the other to the back side of the reset or it won't even roll over. ... the reset having red one one side and red/blue on the other. ...
    Red/Purple wires

Sometimes the wire colors are tricky to read, especially if they have faded since new.

Thread Information