Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Pump You Up!! STX 1200R

Hello Everyone, I water tested my ski last weekend and it did not sink! It was crazy fast, 65 on the speedo yes I know how inaccurate they are...

Anyway on the way back to the dock not on heavy throttle about 4500 rpm, the ski was sounding like it was cavatating, feathered the throttle and it went away, came back a few hundred yards later, lowered the rpm to just above idle to get back to the dock, assuming I need to rebuild my pump. Ordered the rebuild kit from wsm, and a new impeller shaft just in case.

So today I pulled the pump, it was so stuck I though I missed a bolt (I didn't...) I finally got the pump to come off, and well, I am pretty sure the impeller and pump should come off together...

I'm going to clean up the housing and get the toasted bearings out of the pump housing. I'll post pix and see what ya'll think, maybe I will not need to replace the housing.

Here are a few shots of the impeller, Not sure if that will need to be replaced.

Cheers,
    Marc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	impeller.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	452581   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pump.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	452582   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	impel1.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	452583   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1880.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	452584   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imopel2.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	452585  

Pumps trashed time to find a used replacement

Yes, the pump should have come out with the impeller inside of it. It appears the impeller is stuck on the drive shaft splines. It could be rusted on. Spray it with some PB Blaster and hopefully you can get it off.

I don't know if the housing is salvageable or not. The stainless wear ring is not easily replaceable so if that is damaged you will have to replace the housing. The impeller doesn't look to bad. You could probably have it repaired by Impros if you wanted it to be perfect.

Hopefully you can get the impeller off fairly easily. The drive shaft can only be removed from the inside and that requires removing the engine.

+1
    Looks like we have some work to do brother! Let me know if you need help and I will glady come up to help!

5. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by turboman412 View Post
    Pumps trashed time to find a used replacement
    Well, that sucks... but Ok, anyone know a good source for a solid used pump?

Quote Originally Posted by 3gear View Post
    Well, that sucks... but Ok, anyone know a good source for a solid used pump?
    I found one on eBay but that is always hit or miss of course. Besides that maybe the classifieds here. I can say you will pay roughly 200 to 300 for a good used housing unless you get very lucky.

I paid 110 shipped a few years back for a very nice pump. Any from a tripple engine 148mm will fit.

Quote Originally Posted by turboman412 View Post
    I paid 110 shipped a few years back for a very nice pump. Any from a tripple engine 148mm will fit.
    That was then and I couldn't find anything near that price recently. Maybe he will get lucky but the prices I mentioned was what I had found when looking recently. I couldn't find anything decent near $100. Again, maybe he will get lucky but that was my recent experience.
    Last edited by beekermartin; 08-17-2019 at 12:11 AM.

Not having much luck other than the sbt remanufactured for $389. From the posts i have read sbt has a jcwhitney like reputation, is this correct or is it just motors from them that should be avoided???

also, does the impeller look like it is salvageable?

And lastly is there a cross reference guide to which skis used the 1200triple?

Thanks!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 3gear View Post
    Not having much luck other than the sbt remanufactured for $389. From the posts i have read sbt has a jcwhitney like reputation, is this correct or is it just motors from them that should be avoided???

also, does the impeller look like it is salvageable?

And lastly is there a cross reference guide to which skis used the 1200triple?

Thanks!!!!
    You can keep checking eBay and the classifieds here. SBT is the only other place I know of that sells remanufactured housings. Did you inspect the wear ring on your housing?

The motor in the STX-R is also in the Ultra 150. They don't share the same pump though. The STX-R has a 148mm pump that other models also used but not the Ultra 150.

The impeller doesn't look terrible in the pics. It might be ok. Mine looked a lot worse and it was still running fine. You can send it out to Impros and they will basically reman it for not too much money. Then you would know for sure it is good. You could always buy an aftermarket one like I did but I bought the wrong pitch and it did not work well. Do your research before buying an aftermarket one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information