+1

Adjusting Ignition timing from Cam Sprocket for ET137+4mm 60 injectors

Engine is coming along with the rebuild. Going with the ET137+4mm 60 injectors setup again.
    Had an issue with 1 CP piston where the bottom oil ring channel by the wrist pin bore had a small indentation/dent from the bore coming so close to the oil ring channel. Oil expansion rings fit but were unable to spin freely. It would jam at the tiny dent. CP recommended filing it down slightly and that there should be no issues from doing so. I Filed it down very lightly and rings now spin freely!

Bolting down the cam/sprocket and was considering retarding the ignition timing from the cam. It is presently showing right side marker higher then left side marker. The bolt holes appear to be at full advanced. Turning it clock wise would retard it.

Seeing that I cannot get ignition timing readings from my logger due to it being an older siemens ECU. And the fact that my engine went BOOM with a melted stock piston.
    Should I retard the ignition timing? I am not sure if the present tune is a stock ignition timing table. No answer from Riva..

Can the experienced members please advice? Thank you!

+1
    I don't know advance from retard BUT I do know my stuff runs strong every time out & these are two different motors I set at two different times & they are set the same based on the timing gear alignment marks so I know this is what I look for when I do it
    Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 619.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	162.4 KB 
ID:	452521   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 490.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	165.3 KB 
ID:	452523  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by REID2168 View Post
    I don't know advance from retard BUT I do know my stuff runs strong every time out & these are two different motors I set at two different times & they are set the same based on the timing gear alignment marks so I know this is what I look for when I do it
    Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!
    Hi, thank you for the info. I was able to adjust the cam sprocket to your displayed setting. It really has 2 settings. I could have installed all 3 bolts with either setting. I'll leave it as the better looking, even/leveled markers way.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tiderider View Post
    Hi, thank you for the info. I was able to adjust the cam sprocket to your displayed setting. It really has 2 settings. I could have installed all 3 bolts with either setting. I'll leave it as the better looking, even/leveled markers way.

good deal.....u may find a sweeter spot I just haven't with my stuff thus far...keep us posted
    ...….Good Luck!!!!!!!!

+1
    are you using a new timing chain by chance? The cam normally likes up dead center the slots every time.

Running cam full retarded has been proven to work great tho

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by meeper View Post
    are you using a new timing chain by chance? The cam normally likes up dead center the slots every time.

Running cam full retarded has been proven to work great tho
    I am reusing the timing chain, it only has 40 hours on it, its a newer IWIS chain and it was inspected with no wear on it, just like new. Knock on wood. Cam sprocket markers are leveled with the head's top, just like the posted pictures on previous posts.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tiderider View Post
    I am reusing the timing chain, it only has 40 hours on it, its a newer IWIS chain and it was inspected with no wear on it, just like new. Knock on wood. Cam sprocket markers are leveled with the head's top, just like the posted pictures on previous posts.
    good choice keeping that IWIS since its good as they are the best IMO of the chains available for these motors....Good Luck!!!!!!

+1
    I also replaced the cam sprocket bolts with 12.9 bolts, blue Loctite and torque to 16 nm.

Thread Information