+1

Assembly lube for piston rings/inserting them.

Installing the pistons and I have some Torco MPZ assembly lube kicking around. It states okay for cylinder walls, piston skirts. I guess it being around the expansion ring/oil ring shouldn't be a problem? I was going to lube the piston rings with it as well. Probably won't do any harm long term, its lubrication and will probably be blasted away with pressure.

Bad idea. Why would you do this? Oil only.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    So it breaks in properly. What's the difference between the assembly lube and fogging the engine for storage?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    Spoke to Torco technical support and its a thumbs up to using their MPZ assembly lube on piston rings.

+1
    you should be fine using it. how long after build will you fire it up? what oil will you be using? when will you change first oil change?

+1
    IMO I would not use assembly line around the rings. I have always used engine oil(grade used to run engine) and just used assembly lube on bearings. I have seen guy use assembly lube on automotive engines and some have said miles down the road when pulling apart sometimes the rings are stuck in the pistons and don’t move freely. Not sure if it’s related or not.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by arctic388 View Post
    you should be fine using it. how long after build will you fire it up? what oil will you be using? when will you change first oil change?
    Not sure if I'll be starting it up soon, perhaps in 1 or 2 months.
    I'll be using Valvoline 10W40 motorcycle oil, synthetic. Probably change the oil after 10 hours as typical break in time for new pwc?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 05_RXP View Post
    IMO I would not use assembly line around the rings. I have always used engine oil(grade used to run engine) and just used assembly lube on bearings. I have seen guy use assembly lube on automotive engines and some have said miles down the road when pulling apart sometimes the rings are stuck in the pistons and don’t move freely. Not sure if it’s related or not.
    As per Torco.

"The Torco MPZ assembly lube is designed for exactly what you are asking about. It works very well for engine assembly and you will have no issues on the new rings."

I did have 1 bad CP piston from factory with .5mm over and coated shirt. The oil ring channel/groove by the bored wrist pin is so tight that it pushed a tiny indentation/dent into the ring grove channel. Rings fitted but would not spin freely... Perhaps the same problem others had without rectifying the problem. I was able to slightly file it down as per CP recommendations which then, rings spun freely.

Apparently its just like adding fogging oil.

Best regards,

+1
    It's fine, hell, I've used everything from fogging oil to motor oil to gear lube to synthetic wheel bearing grease, just whatever is handy on my bench. NEVER had any issues with any of it.

+1
    The Faulty CP Piston.. Corrected by filing it down very slightly. Rings were stuck and would not spin freely.. Very tight clearances!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CP piston 1.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	452617   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CP piston 2.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	452618   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CP piston 3.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	452619  

Thread Information