Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by truck240 View Post
    I don't have a supercharger to worry about. I've never used the Lucas oil but I might try it. I find these oil threads very informative. The problem with PWC is the low number of hours put on the engines in a year doesn't lend itself to routine used engine oil analysis. Most debate is simply speculation and conjecture.
    Well, the first sentence in this thread promised opinion, real world vs laboratory results, and plenty of minutiae...…

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Bilford View Post
    All of the oils for our application are 5W or 10W-40 oils. A multi weight 40 will always be thinner than a fixed 40 weight at any ambient. The difference is simply more noticeable at colder temps.

I am actually more concerned about the 5 weight being too thin and breaking down too quickly. That's not a problem if you change the oil every 25 hours, but over 50, the viscosity enhancers added to get that 5W base stock up to 40W will not be in great shape. Also the BRP 5W-40 has an ambient temperature operating range of -31F to 104F. That's pretty low on the high end for much of the southern USA. I was shocked to see that on the jug.

I run 15W-40 T6 Rotella in my motorcycles, but use the 5W-40 in my RXP because that's the weight that BRP recommends.
    A 5W40 will break down in 25 hrs? Nonsense. Yet its fine for a Porsche or Mercedes? In Europe these cars have 20,000KM OCI's

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestram View Post
    A 5W40 will break down in 25 hrs? Nonsense. Yet its fine for a Porsche or Mercedes? In Europe these cars have 20,000KM OCI's
    Um, I said "over 50", not 25. The cars you mentioned do not run the oil through the tranny or the gears of a supercharger so the oil is not exposed to shearing. Every hour decreases the viscosity of a multi-weight formulation. Its the nature of a engineered molecule.

^ Fair statement.

+1
    Um, I said "over 50", not 25. The cars you mentioned do not run the oil through the tranny or the gears of a supercharger so the oil is not exposed to shearing. Every hour decreases the viscosity of a multi-weight formulation. Its the nature of a engineered molecule.
    Sea-doo's dont have a tranny to shear down oil and lots of turbo charged MB's and BMW's run a 5W40 or 0W40 for 10K to 20KM's Also a quality synthetic will have no to little VII to shear down. Shearing is minimal if at all. You can run a 15W40 in your Sea-Doo all day long. Same viscosity as your 5W40 at operating temperature. The first number is W for winter and virtually meaningless for our applications.

Lots of UOA's here: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...lysis-gasoline

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestram View Post
    Sea-doo's dont have a tranny to shear down oil and lots of turbo charged MB's and BMW's run a 5W40 or 0W40 for 10K to 20KM's Also a quality synthetic will have no to little VII to shear down. Shearing is minimal if at all. You can run a 15W40 in your Sea-Doo all day long. Same viscosity as your 5W40 at operating temperature. The first number is W for winter and virtually meaningless for our applications.

Lots of UOA's here: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...lysis-gasoline
    You are correct. There would be no difference between 5W-40 and 15W-40 at normal operating temperature. There could however be a small lubrication advantage at start up with 5W at any ambient temperature. I personally default to the OEM recommendation for oil weight especially while under warranty.

+1
    You are correct. There would be no difference between 5W-40 and 15W-40 at normal operating temperature. There could however be a small lubrication advantage at start up with 5W at any ambient temperature. I personally default to the OEM recommendation for oil weight especially while under warranty.
    5 pages later and we're back to using the OEM oil...

^He said OEM weight NOT OEM oil.

^He said OEM weight NOT OEM oil. It'll be full synthetic for me.

+1
    Speaking of OEM weight, its kind of funny because for a long time, BRP never stated a weight on their "summer blend". It is now listed as 5W-40, but the manuals state to use 10W-40 motorcycle oil if XPS is not available. WTH, that's apples and oranges from the people that tell you not to run full syn in SC models.

The purpose of this thread was not to bash or state that the OEM oil is junk. It clearly works good enough, but as the title suggests, there are many oils right off the shelf that are better at lower cost.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information