Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I would be curious on what oil the folks who replied to this thread use?

Quote Originally Posted by Phence View Post
    I would be curious on what oil the folks who replied to this thread use?
    I run rotella t6 5w40 in both skis .. I rebuilt the one a few years back and broke it in with rotella t4 15w40 I would be lucky to put on an average of 15 hours per machine a Summer So they are definitely over serviced my gsxr600 and Cbr600rr gets oil and filter every 2nd track day, again over serviced. My truck gets a service every 8000km which works out to be between 120 and 135 engine hours consecutively. Which is just over half Fords recommendations.

Its nice to to only stock one oil and not have 5 oils laying around.

3. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by Team Bilford View Post
    I see PWC questions on BITOG sometimes. There are several really knowledgeable energy folks on that site. But like most oil threads, sometimes less correct statements will be posted. Those posts do seem to get corrected pretty quickly on BITOG.
    I read a little bit over there, after this thread, yesterday. I would think the Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 is the way to go. Here is what the Mobil 1 site says.

Mobil 1 Racing™ 4T 10W-40 motorcycle oil is designed primarily for on-road, high-performance, four-cycle sport bikes. It also may be used in other types of on- and off-road four-cycle motorcycles that specify the use of 10W-40 engine oil.
    The unique, synthetic structure of the Mobil 1™ motorcycle oil formulations offers advantages beyond conventional motorcycle oils of similar viscosities.

This full synthetic motorcycle oil helps provide excellent performance in motorcycle engines that are either:

• Designed with a common engine/transmission lubrication system, or
    • Designed so that the engine lubrication system is separate from the transmission system. (Follow the manufacturer's recommendation for the type of fluid to be used in the transmission.)

It is also JASO MA and JASO MA2 rated.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by guybb3 View Post
    I read a little bit over there, after this thread, yesterday. I would think the Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 is the way to go. Here is what the Mobil 1 site says.

Mobil 1 Racing™ 4T 10W-40 motorcycle oil is designed primarily for on-road, high-performance, four-cycle sport bikes. It also may be used in other types of on- and off-road four-cycle motorcycles that specify the use of 10W-40 engine oil.
    The unique, synthetic structure of the Mobil 1™ motorcycle oil formulations offers advantages beyond conventional motorcycle oils of similar viscosities.

This full synthetic motorcycle oil helps provide excellent performance in motorcycle engines that are either:
    • Designed with a common engine/transmission lubrication system, or
    • Designed so that the engine lubrication system is separate from the transmission system. (Follow the manufacturer's recommendation for the type of fluid to be used in the transmission.)
    It is also JASO MA and JASO MA2 rated.
    Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W40 would be a fine choice. It would be my 4th pick behind Rotella T6, Valvoline Synthetic Motorcycle (sliver bottle), Castrol Power One. The reason is because it is API SN. I have no idea why they would do that because having "Racing" in the name gives them an exemption on the SN requirements. Usually a "Racing" oil has a much higher level of zinc and phosphorus in its additive package. Compare VOA for Mobil Racing 4T vs the other fine motorcycle oils that are SL and SJ.

Again, it may make no difference in the real world, but any SN oil will be inferior in our application.

+1
    Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 is API SN, but has a high rating of phosphorus and zinc. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SmartSelect_20190816-095124_Drive.jpeg 
Views:	44 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	452517

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanK View Post
    Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 is API SN, but has a high rating of phosphorus and zinc. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SmartSelect_20190816-095124_Drive.jpeg 
Views:	44 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	452517
    Allan
    That's good info, but makes no sense. Maybe the exemption allows the use of SN due to passing other parameters. It certainly not an SN oil if you have a cat converter. Games get played, but thanks for the info. Those levels would certainly make it an equal player to the SL and SJ oils mentioned.

+1
    What about Motul LV300 ??

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DR2006RXP View Post
    What about Motul LV300 ??
    Many of the Motul, Maxima, and Red Line products are ester based. They are very good at lubrication, but esters do not attach themselves well to metal. That makes them poor at preventing corrosion during off season storage like we encounter with PWC. Those folks in colder climates where the off season is longer than normal might actually benefit by using a semi-syn or even a mineral based oil for the added protection over the class III synthetics that we have been listing. Castrol's Actevo Semi Syn, BRP's 5W-40 and Valvoline Motorcycle in the blue bottle would be the ones to consider in that group.

Amsoil Marine is another fine product that would work well in our application and Amsoil claims that its additive package is designed specifically for preventing corrosion in the marine environment and off season storage.

+1
    Penrite MC-4ST 10W-40 full synthetic is also Jaso MA2 API SN with zinc 1200+

I think I'll make the switch to Mobile 1 Racing 4T.
    Thanks for the info....

I will be changing oil soon and have been using Amsoil in my Yamaha R1 and Zuma. Will Amsoil 10w-40 Marine Synthetic Oil
    (WCFQT-EA) be ok for an RXTX 300?

12. +1 by:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information