Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BMist371 View Post
    How much does it take to clean a ski?
    It takes very little. A light mist and then wipe it down with a clean microfiber cloth. One can of Plexus will last a year or more depending upon how much you need to clean the ski. I clean mine after every outing to remove water marks.

I know that it seems strange to have to use a spray after using so many excellent automotive-based cleaners/polishers, but unfortunately, this is the position Sea-Doo has put us in by choosing to use a very delicate acrylic finish. There are so many chemicals that can easily damage acrylics, some instantly, some over time. And there have been many instances of both dealers and owners destroying the CM-Tec finish by being careless or simply by not knowing how easily the finish can be destroyed.

My advice is to play it safe. Avoid all products used for automotive purposes or for gel coat. Use only products that the manufacturer guarantees 100% safe for acrylic plastics.

Currently, I'm testing out two other products. One is Sumner Laboratories (23304) 210 Plastic Cleaner/Polish which is similar to Plexus but less expensive. The other is Honda 08732-SCP00 Spray Cleaner and Polish which is an excellent product I used for years on the plastic finishes found on most newer motorcycles. Both are formulated specifically for plastics and the manufacturers of both products guarantee them safe for acrylics. However, I won't recommend them here until I've thoroughly tested them on CM-Tec. So far I've used both regularly on areas under the seat of my '18 GTX. I've even let them sit on the finish for days without wiping them off. I've noticed no problems to date, so preliminary results look good.

This is the banned list.

BRP HD Cleaner and Degreaser (P/N 293110001)
    Acetone or other ketones
    Alcohol
    Toluene or other aromatic solvents
    Chlorinated solvents
    Mineral spirits
    Paint thinners
    Petroleum based products
    Benzene
    This is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to chemicals that can harm acrylics. Here is a much more comprehensive list:

https://www.eplastics.com/blog/chemi...lic-plexiglass

Quote Originally Posted by pro10is View Post
    This is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to chemicals that can harm acrylics. Here is a much more comprehensive list:

https://www.eplastics.com/blog/chemi...lic-plexiglass
    How exactly is the cm tec given it's color? Is it a dyed material with acrylic laid over it? Or painted over then acrylic over that? Or what? That would help out a lot to know the process. Trying to figure out how the hull and deck receive their colors.

How exactly is the cm tec given it's color? Is it a dyed material with acrylic laid over it? Or painted over then acrylic over that? Or what? That would help out a lot to know the process. Trying to figure out how the hull and deck receive their colors.
    CM-TEC, aka "Closed Mold Technology" or "Thermoformed Acrylic Finish Technology", has three layers: Fiberglass, ABS Plastic, and Acrylic Plastic. The color is embedded in the plastic. Some say it's in the acrylic layer, I believe it's in the ABS layer with a clear acrylic overlay. Makes no difference, what you need to know is that it's not paint. Sea-Doo has never revealed exactly how CM-TEC is manufactured and it remains largely proprietary. They used to reference CM-TEC on their website and in their marketing, but since the crazing/cracking issues, they rarely, if ever, mention it anymore. They seem to be sticking with it, however. They really have no choice since they've invested so much into the tooling and manufacturing process, so it's too late to change it now. You most likely won't see a change until the next generation of hull designs which is probably many years away.

Since the acrylic is the finish layer (like the clear coat on a car or the gel coat on a boat), that's the layer that you need to worry about for chemical damage.

In addition to being susceptible to chemical damage, CM-TEC has also proven to be no better, or perhaps worse, than fiberglass/gel coat for impact and stress damage, judging by such damage reported here and in other places such as Facebook.

CM-TEC probably saves Sea-Doo considerable money because it's less expensive, faster to fabricate, and has fewer hull rejections than fiberglass/gel coat hull manufacturing. It's also lighter, so they can achieve better speed performance than with heavier hulls. However, CM-TEC hulls cannot be properly repaired, cosmetically or structurally, so once they're damaged, the value of the ski is considerably reduced. In the case of a structural repair, the safety may also be permanently compromised. Sea-Doo's warranty CM-TEC repair procedure of filling and painting is, in my opinion, wholly inadequate and at best a temporary fix which leaves the owner stuck with a permanently damaged ski.

Does this mean you shouldn't buy a Sea-Doo with CM-TEC? Not necessarily, because most PWC hull manufacturing seems to be moving away from fiberglass/gel coat, and the other designs have not proven to be better. But, before buying, you have to be fully aware of the risk of owning a PWC with a non-repairable hull and be prepared to take appropriate care of it. It's possible you may lose the value of the boat if it gets damaged, or you may enjoy many years of ownership with no issues. I'm hoping for the latter.

Last edited by pro10is; 08-14-2019 at 10:39 AM.

+1
    Seems like some good product and video explaining the products.
    http://sea-doo-jet-ski-jetski.com/#about

Looks like Garry Dean makes a CM-Tec safe line of products for cleaning. Might try them and the Plexus and see what I like best.

Tried out some Plexus yesterday. It was kind of scary how well it cleaned. I keep telling myself there has to be a catch to just spraying and wiping....Between that and getting my T-X unlocked for the ECU and installing the exhaust, I was pleased. Thinking of cleaning it up well with Plexus, then trying some of that Garry Dean Hybrid Spray Coating for a little extra oomph.

I've used both vinegar and Maguire's Extreme Marine Water Spot Remover and both seem to work well, no damage to the finish.

Quote Originally Posted by SandMan234 View Post
    I've used both vinegar and Maguire's Extreme Marine Water Spot Remover and both seem to work well, no damage to the finish.
    Vinegar is primarily a solution of acetic acid and water. Vinegar typically contains 5–20% acetic acid by volume and will vary by brand. If you use vinegar on CM-TEC, make certain that it contains no more that 5% acetic acid or else you may risk damage.

From Acrylic chemical damage chart:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_Capture.PNG 
Views:	100 
Size:	4.2 KB 
ID:	452746  

+1
    Add Simple Green cleaner to list. I was walking by my RXT and seen a spider while carrying a spray bottle of SG. I sprayed the hideous beast! later I noticed a small spot of crazing.

This is the banned list.

BRP HD Cleaner and Degreaser (P/N 293110001)
    Acetone or other ketones
    Alcohol
    Toluene or other aromatic solvents
    Chlorinated solvents
    Mineral spirits
    Paint thinners
    Petroleum based products
    Benzene

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information