Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

Okay need some professional help here. Big mistake

It seems I left a Bounty paper towel in PTO or in timing cover when changing the cam( I'm assuming a smaller piece tore off to keep dust or parts out which fell I'm assuming out of sight)and this is the reason for low oil pressure. Identified by the looks of oil filter I'm am not sure how this happened. I know I need to pull the motor again, but where do I need to go from there ? Both screens, dump all oil and will this mess up the oil pressure regulator ? Clog oil ports etc.
    Last edited by kensmith; 08-07-2019 at 01:46 PM.

+1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190806_233411.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	451915

+1
    I am just going to clean both oil sieves, replace oil pressure regulator, oil filter and oil change a few times and hope for the best.

sorry to say, i feel that engine needs to be pulled again....you have a screen before the primary oil pump that is clogged, you also have a screen before the suction oil pump that is clogged, that one can be cleaned without removing the engine but the first one I mentioned needs the PTO cover off....Your engine will be limited with oil if these screens are not freed up. Other than that your engine would love to chew up the paper towel.

+1
    I would venture to say that you'll probably be ok. Just clean and replace what your already planning on doing and you should be fine. Its paper, with the oil and heat the remainder will break down and the oil filter should pick it up. Only issue I could see is clogging the oil passages with it, but if you catch it and get the material out the remainder will get caught in the main oil filter.

+1
    Ya have been talking to 2 of my friends that are engine builders and they are both telling me to tear down the entire motor and clean all oil passages. I was worried about piston oilers, crank and rocker arms but wondering actually if anything can get past both screens and oil filter that would be enough to cause blockage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdixon1000 View Post
    sorry to say, i feel that engine needs to be pulled again....you have a screen before the primary oil pump that is clogged, you also have a screen before the suction oil pump that is clogged, that one can be cleaned without removing the engine but the first one I mentioned needs the PTO cover off....Your engine will be limited with oil if these screens are not freed up. Other than that your engine would love to chew up the paper towel.

+1
    By the way i already have the parts to pull motor and do this on the way, just worried if I really need to just tear down the entire motor ........
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoffer2490 View Post
    I would venture to say that you'll probably be ok. Just clean and replace what your already planning on doing and you should be fine. Its paper, with the oil and heat the remainder will break down and the oil filter should pick it up. Only issue I could see is clogging the oil passages with it, but if you catch it and get the material out the remainder will get caught in the main oil filter.

+1
    Well if the material is small enough to get past the main screens chances are its not going to clog the oil passages or the piston squirters. Those screens and the oil filter is going to catch 95% of the material right off the bat.

+1
    ^^^ Kinda agree with the above. Oil ports and passages are all pretty much down-stream of supply filtration - which looks to have done its job. The only reservation I have... is if that oil-filter ever went into bypass mode??
    So looking at the pic, it doesn't look all that cake'd-up, which means there's a good chance it didn't go into bypass, thus oil ports and galleys *should* be lint-free. Therefore, yah, I'd pull the engine and clean both screen as suggested, new oil, new filter - g2g - AND re-check the filter shortly thereafter to assess.

+1
    Whats G2G ? Ya I am thinking the same thing and check oil pressure. J that ust I have buddies that wrench for a living and telling me I got to tear it down & clean everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeBandit View Post
    ^^^ Kinda agree with the above. Oil ports and passages are all pretty much down-stream of supply filtration - which looks to have done its job. The only reservation I have... is if that oil-filter ever went into bypass mode??
    So looking at the pic, it doesn't look all that cake'd-up, which means there's a good chance it didn't go into bypass, thus oil ports and galleys *should* be lint-free. Therefore, yah, I'd pull the engine and clean both screen as suggested, new oil, new filter - g2g - AND re-check the filter shortly thereafter to assess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information