Thread: new guy in MT

new guy in MT

Hi everyone,
    New guy to the forum, and PWCs in general. I'm here because my wife is terrified of sailing. Yup, spent a year getting a trailer sailboat ready. Took her out, and the first gust of wind we had that heeled the boat over a bit freaked her out and that was the end of sailing with the family.

SO, I was talking with a friend about above situation and he made me an offer on a pair of 1994 Polaris SL750s with a trailer. The price was a couple days helping him get his 7.3L diesel back together, and he gets to use them when I get the skis running.

History of the boats: his dad got them ~4 or 5 yrs ago in some horse trading. Supposedly the guy he got them from was a stand up guy. Buddy's dad gave them to him a present. He moved, they sat for at least the last 3 yrs, unfortunately in the sun. Registration on the boats is from Oregon, and the most recent is 2014, although the most recent hull sticker is 2013. As far as I know, my buddy has never heard them run. He did try to get them running last year He bought a battery and cranked them over a bit, one ran for a few seconds on ether but that's it. So, I'm going to say these have been sitting at least 5 yrs, and possibly 6. Obviously, they need some work before I'll even attempt to run them.

Me: MSgt (Ret), USAF. Now employed as a mechanical engineer. In my spare time I tinker with anything with a motor. I've restored/rebuilt several motorcycles, a couple outboards, 4 or 5 snowmobiles, several autos etc. I have the tools and space to work on them, and enjoy tinkering. I've been reading through the FAQ's and attempting to learn what I can before I start asking questions that have already been answered. This site seems like an excellent source of information, so I signed up.

So, the plan is to start learning about these units and get them back to reliable condition. My plan is disassembly and cleaning to identify what needs to be done, then start tackling everything. I've already removed the carb rack from one (what a lot of fun that was!) and started cleaning out the crusty mess one would expect from ethanol that has sat for 5 yrs. Yuck! The mag cylinder carb throttle valve was completely stuck, so I had to remove the throttle plate screws and yank the plate out. Of course the screws broke off and had to be drilled out. Not the first time I've done that so I was prepared, and even have the broken pieces out and the shaft ready for new screws.
    I also removed the pump stator/impeller assembly, and found out it's eaten a few rocks. The blades are chewed up a bit, so I'm not sure if the impeller can be repaired or just needs to be replaced. Thankfully the bearings seem good. Once I had all that apart I thought I should at least see if the motor would turn over. So I hooked up a good battery and the display came on. Hit the starter button....nothing. Fiddled around a bit and discovered that the motor is moving around a bit when I shove on it. That didn't seem right, so I went to #2 and shoved on that motor. No slop. Hooked the battery up to #2, and the engine cranked over, but the display seems dead.
    Without even looking at them I know that the fuel systems will need to be completely rebuilt. I've had really good luck with Tygon fuel hoses in everything else, any reason not to use that on these? I saw the notes to remove the auto-cock and upgrade the fuel pumps. The one that I've removed the carbs still has the auto-cock but someone put a T in-line between each pair of carbs and them split it. I'll replace all that with the upgraded 3 port pump. Both boats will need a battery. The one with a loose engine may require engine removal, not sure if I can get to the bolts in-situ or not?
    Anyway, I'm taking pics along the way and will be asking plenty of questions as things progress. I'll post a link to my google photos album below.
    Thanks for having me aboard!
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/vVE9zQGYKKMW1iMF8

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome.

You seem to be heading in the right directions.

You have already seen this, and this, correct?

There is a lot to do when bringing these older watercraft up to snuff. Even the things that some ‘OK’ should be checked. When out on the water you cannot just walk home if the machine should fail.

The only way to have them be reliable is to put in the work and make them reliable.

On the upside, the blue Fuji motors are well understood and we know how to configure them to run well. Get the fuel system to 100% good, and make sure the rest of the machine has no issues.

If the large bolts that hold the engine bottom down to the bed plate have loosened, it is just about impossible to get them properly re-tightened without lifting the engine.

Tip: move the battery negative cable to one of the studs for the intake manifold, rather than the factory connection on the bed plate. This provides a more direct electrical connection between the starter motor and the battery negative post.

Thanks K447, I did see those and am working my way through. I'm pretty sure it's your videos I used to learn how to remove the jet pump.
    I'm fully aware the it's going to take time to go through everything. I may enlist my kids to video the process, as a way to get them involved and ensure they understand. I always try to find ways to educate them. They are super excited to have them, but they want to ride NOW! I I've had to adjust their expectations a bit.

I decided to get out the borescope and see what the piston wash looked like: https://photos.app.goo.gl/wNPFT9bQhVn1RjWa8

Some lean, some rich. At least we know the pistons aren't holed!

plugging away

I only had about 15 mins to work on them this evening, so I decided to test compression on #2:
    115 -115-112
    Considering the elevation (~3350) I think that's acceptable all things considered.

Oh, I talked with the local Polaris dealer, and basically they have nothing left and can't get anything. One of the parts I know I'll need is the rubber seal/o-ring that goes around the driveshaft and I assume seals the splines inside the impeller?
    New throttle shaft screws and triple outlet fuel pump are on the way. While I was testing the compression earlier I also had the spark plugs connected/grounded to the engine. all three cylinders on #2 have nice blue sparks happening.

+1
    The o-ring around the driveshaft where it fits into the impeller, is mainly there to help keep the waterproof grease from being washed out of the splines.

Hopefully the o-ring specifications has been posted around here somewhere. I am sure you can find a generic o-ring that is ‘close enough’ in diameter and thickness to work. I imagine a generic Buna-N o-ring material would work just fine.

I had found the first "this", but not the second "this"
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Rider View Post
    Thanks
    I missed something somewhere?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

You have already seen this, and this, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Rider View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skills4lou View Post
    I missed something somewhere?
    Does this help?

Thread Information