Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2004 Waverunner FX power loss at full throttle

Hello All, first I wanted to say this is a great forum, lots of knowledge here and I am reading and learning about my new to me Waverunner.

Now on to the issue I am experiencing.

I notice when out on the water the engine seems to max out at 8000 rpm at around 80-90% throttle. If I try and to go full 100% throttle the engines starts to bog down and I lose speed. My max speed is 58 - 60km/p hr at 80% throttle. After doing some research I started with some the basic troubleshooting by replacing all spark plugs. Air filter was clean no oil residue. Ran it again but no change still bogging down. Next I checked the oil level hot after running it for 15 mins and letting it cool down for 3-5mins. The oil was over the full mark, so I removed some to the point where it's at the 3/4 full mark. Ran it again and it seemed slightly better maybe hitting 8500rpm but still bogging down at full throttle. Also should mention I was running a fresh tank of gas.

Is there something I am missing? Is the oil level still too high? Thought about cleaning the fuel injectors next.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

+1
    As a test, pull the air filter completely out and run it, see what happens.
    You can't always see the oil residue on the filter.

Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    As a test, pull the air filter completely out and run it, see what happens.
    You can't always see the oil residue on the filter.
    Thanks for the reply. Ok I'll try it without the air filter on my next run and will post my findings.

Quote Originally Posted by Focusman View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Ok I'll try it without the air filter on my next run and will post my findings.
    Update....

Pulled out the air filter and there was no change, still boggs down when at full throttle. I'm thinking about cleaning the injectors next.

Update....

Pulled out the air filter and there was no change, still boggs down when at full throttle. I'm thinking about cleaning the injectors next.
    Did a compression test and got 120 on all 4 cylinders. Noticed spark plug in cylinder 1 was running a little lean. One other thing I tried was to see if on the trailer with no load on the engine could I get the revs over 8000 rpm. and I did no bogging. I am being to suspect that the fuel pump is the issue. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Did a compression test and got 120 on all 4 cylinders. Noticed spark plug in cylinder 1 was running a little lean. One other thing I tried was to see if on the trailer with no load on the engine could I get the revs over 8000 rpm. and I did no bogging. I am being to suspect that the fuel pump is the issue. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    Well decided to take it in and have a dealer look at it. They found cylinder #2 compression was less than the others. (165 were the rest had 200) They believe the cylinder is the issue and the unit is going into limp mode at 8000 rpm. Funny thing is there are no error codes. Given the age of the unit they said it won't be worth having it fixed. I am mechanical (built motorcycles) but not much knowledge on PWC. Do you think it would be worth getting it fixed? (My wife thinks 60km/h is good enough for the kids. like having a governor) Can anyone recommend a knowledgeable mechanic in the Toronto area?

+1
    Check the water behind the ski when it's running. Look for a sheen on top of the water. A common problem with the older FX140's is a bad ECU that keeps a fuel injector open and floods the cylinder with fuel.

+1
    I would also pull the fuel pump module and check the filters. Disconnect the battery first.

I had read about that but what I can't figure out is it doesn't bog down when on the trailer. I can go over 10,000rpm and it doesn't happen.

+1
    No load on the engine with the impeller out of the water. Same as you running up hill or on the level. Need more energy/power to go up hill for the same speed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information