Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1

    Partially, likely mostly fixed VX HO!!

    So I had posted a few weeks ago that my HO was only 2 mph faster than my VX Limited, and after looking at a lot of suggestions, I succumbed and took it to the local dealer last Thursday. Prior to bringing it in, it was maxing out at 55 on my phone GPS, at 6700 rpm and using a lot of fuel. Also cavitated noticeably more on holeshot. On the same day, with more weight on-board, my Limited ran 52 at 7400 and used 1/2 of the fuel the HO did.

    They ran diagnostic, talked to Yamaha, who told the tech to pull and inspect the pump. He found one blade of the impeller with a slight bend, from what he called a "soft obstruction", however, there were no marks anywhere on the ring or prop.Under Yamaha's instruction, he re-pitched that blade to match the others and reinstalled the pump. He then fake-laked it and was able to bang the rev-limiter, something I'd never experienced. I got it back on Saturday afternoon, and took it to the lake Sunday morning early. The air was crap, DA of around 6000', but managed to hit 59 mph with just me and a little less than 1/2 tank, with a strong, cavitation free holeshot, and hit 7000-7100 rpm.

    A side caveat; the day BEFORE I took it in, I found that the air intake ducts were SMASHED into the hull. there was basically NO fresh air getting into the engine compartment. I raised them a couple inches and re-ziptied them. I told the tech that when I witnessed him fake-lake it, and he told me "you may have fixed most of the problem, because that's the second thing i checked."

    Also, #4 cylinder was 10-20# lower on compression in TWO tests; 200/200/200/180, then 199/199/199/189. Yamaha said its within tolerance. That's 11/20# less compression in that cylinder!!! How is that "in tolerance"????
    Last edited by JRod28; 08-05-2019 at 01:04 PM.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    1,420
    +1
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by JRod28 View Post
    Also, #4 cylinder was 10-20# lower on compression in TWO tests; 200/200/200/180, then 199/199/199/189. Yamaha said its within tolerance. That's 11/20# less compression in that cylinder!!! How is that "in tolerance"????
    Did you ask what the tolerance was ????

    Might be in need of a valve adjustment is ski under warranty? How many hours?

  3. #3
    yamaha would only tell me that it's within tolerance. Ski had 10.4hrs on it, and yes it is in warranty at a month old.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    1,420
    +1
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by JRod28 View Post
    yamaha would only tell me that it's within tolerance. Ski had 10.4hrs on it, and yes it is in warranty at a month old.
    Personally i would enjoy it while the weather is still good and when it changes then take dealer and Yamaha to task on getting it sorted, also see if you can get hold of a copy of the shop manual as that has all the tolerances are in it written down and the dealer really shouldn't need to speak to Yamaha to know what they are.........


  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
    Personally i would enjoy it while the weather is still good and when it changes then take dealer and Yamaha to task on getting it sorted, also see if you can get hold of a copy of the shop manual as that has all the tolerances are in it written down and the dealer really shouldn't need to speak to Yamaha to know what they are.........
    That is the plan sir.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Fixed easy ! Wave runner over heat issue, fixed!
    By CJ in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-07-2018, 11:58 PM
  2. Partially Sank the Boat - 1200PV
    By Robb235 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-06-2018, 01:13 PM
  3. 97 sl900 mfd only partially works
    By car22car in forum Polaris PWC Performance
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-14-2015, 10:02 PM
  4. can map sensor go partially bad??
    By breon in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-18-2011, 08:08 AM
  5. ***will partially trade sweet 69 firebird***
    By prosportsman in forum Sea Doo Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-16-2008, 09:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •