Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    +1
    I never sheared a woodruff key in a watercraft. I've only had it occur twice, both with my former Lawn Boy walk behind mower. On both instances, I hit something like a survey monument or some other obstruction in the tall grass that resulted in sudden stoppage. The first instance just sheared the woodruff key. The second instance sheared the woodruff key and split the key way open in the aluminum flywheel.

It was $80.00 for a new flywheel. It probably wasn't worth repairing, but I really liked that Lawn Boy mower. I milked her to almost the bitter end. It would start right up when cold and as long as you kept going, everything was fine. However, as you soon as you shut it off, you were done until it cooled it off. There was hardly any compression when it was hot and as such, it wouldn't draw a fuel/air mix in. Once it cooled down and things contracted, it would start again. I did use it for near 30 years.

I finally hauled it to the scrap yard as part of a load. I often regret not keeping and rebuilding it, as no one seems to build a decent walk behind any more. I bought a Honda walk behind and while it starts on the first pull and is built like a tank, it is also a tank to push around! My father had purchased a WalMart cheapo walk behind a year or so before he passed, which I inherited. It is almost as easy as the Lawn Boy was push to around. It has a Briggs engine, which I must say, I'm rather impressed with from what they use to be. It will almost always start on the first pull, as well. The pitfall with the WalMart mower is the deck. The deck metal first began to split/rip apart on the rear wheel mounts. I reinforced it with some flat steel. When I was performing the end of season maintenance, it was splitting around the deck handle mounts. More reinforcing. I suppose I'll end up struggling along with the Honda once it is beyond repair.

Well, she's alive. I was lucky enough that a Jeep buddy of mine had the correct size woodruff key on the shelf. A few bits and pieces for me to go through and tidy up so I can leave running in the driveway for a bit and then I'll look over the jet unit before I head to the beach. I'll also grab a new battery seeing as these old girls are so fussy on voltage. Exciting stuff

Quote Originally Posted by martincom View Post
    I reinforced it with some flat steel. When I was performing the end of season maintenance, it was splitting around the deck handle mounts. More reinforcing. I suppose I'll end up struggling along with the Honda once it is beyond repair.
    Sounds like you\re turning the Walmart jobby into aforementioned tank! Same reason we own old cars/jetskis etc. Some kind of odd emotional attachment perhaps or just seems such a waste to throw it away!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mrlentle View Post
    Well, she's alive. I was lucky enough that a Jeep buddy of mine had the correct size woodruff key on the shelf. A few bits and pieces for me to go through and tidy up so I can leave running in the driveway for a bit and then I'll look over the jet unit before I head to the beach. I'll also grab a new battery seeing as these old girls are so fussy on voltage. Exciting stuff
    Congrats! Regarding voltage, the DI machines are not quite as fussy as the CDI versions. The battery in the DI just needs to be able to spin the engine fast enough to generate sufficient voltage for the injectors to work (~20VDC). (The EMM is only powered by the stator/flywheel, not the battery...)

5. +1 by:

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mrlentle View Post
    ... leave running in the driveway for a bit ...
    With the driveshaft installed the maximum recommended runtime out of the water is only two minutes. And this is with the garden hose cooling the engine.

Reason: the shaft seals inside the jet pump and the driveshaft through-hull assembly are cooled by the water it is floating in. On the trailer these seals are not cooled and running the engine for more than a couple of minutes can overheat the seal lips fairly quickly.

Also, the EMM cooling water flow does not occur when running the engine with the garden hose reverse flush cooling connection. So the EMM is operating with minimal to no cooling when on the trailer. Another reason to limit on trailer engine run time.

Since there is no load on the jet pump, there is not a lot to be gained from extended idle time on the trailer.

A much better test is to back the trailer down the local launch ramp and run the engine with the jet pump inlet fully submerged in the water. Keep the hull fully strapped down to the trailer, front and rear. Then you can apply throttle and monitor the engine compartment with the seat off, all while stationary in the water at the ramp.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    A much better test is to back the trailer down the local launch ramp and run the engine with the jet pump inlet fully submerged in the water. Keep the hull fully strapped down to the trailer, front and rear. Then you can apply throttle and monitor the engine compartment with the seat off, all while stationary in the water at the ramp.
    Thanks K - will use this approach.

+1
    Some kind of odd emotional attachment perhaps or just seems such a waste to throw it away!
    Now, that I'm "old", according to my daughters, I have finally figured why people become such pack rats when they get older. You remember how much it cost when new...

9. +1 by:

Old is cool. I'd far rather hit the trials in my rattly old Willys than in a new Wrangler. Especially if the wife is with me - last time she rolled the Wrangler she was driving (and it wasn't ours)! That was an expensive day.

Always thought I loved EFI too though have really enjoyed sorting the carb on the old Jeep and on my Waverunner. People these days seem quite frightened of carbs - read the book, check the specs and be sure everything is CLEAN and you're well on your way to success.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information