Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Considering a new gtx

Hi all,. I'm new here and new to the idea of a pwc. A couple of years ago my wife and I moved to near Lake Raystown in central PA and have decided that we'd like a pwc. Eventually a boat to weekend on the lake but a pwc for now.

Following exhaustive research I've settled on the GTX line. I love the advertised hull stability, easy access storage, linQ system, sound system and the picnic setup.

I'm a Motorhead. Quads, motorcycles, snowmobiles, cars but never a pwc. Thing is, I'm 6'5"(pretty proportional. Not overly long legs), 300lbs(solid, not a sloppy 300#).

Will I fit on a new gtx? With the sound system? Adding my normal size wife to the mix I'm assuming the 155 shouldn't be a consideration. 230 or 300? I know the top speed is capped but that's not really important to me. I do love acceleration though.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Jesse
    Last edited by Wellarmedlamb; 08-02-2019 at 10:15 AM.

+1
    The GTX with the ST3 hull would be the best choice for you in the Sea Doo lineup. If you like acceleration, the 300 model would be the only option to consider.

+1
    230 vs 300

As an owner of a pair of 2018 300's, the availability of fuel is probably the biggest consideration between the two. The 300 requires 91 octane while the 230 is happy with 87. Both are plenty quick to be fun, the 300 is just stupid fast.

4. +1 by:

+1
    At 6'1" i'm comfortable on the ST3 hull, get the 300 with the extra tank, plenty of room under the hood for storage, if more storage is needed there is still room on the back with the fuel tank....very good acceleration see if you can get the launch control for the GTX ( standard on the RXTX), works sweet...

+1
    Jesse,

In my opinion you've made a wise choice on selecting the GTX line of Sea-Doo's. I have been riding PWC's since I was 10 years old and I'm currently 38. My current "daily driver" is a 2019 GTX Limited 300 and it's by far the best PWC that I've ever rode. ( and I've rode a s*** ton of them ) . The new hull is the best Sea-Doo as ever made. Nibble on the turns, smooth through rough water and when you strap the 300 horsepower power plant between your legs it's a rocket ship. The audio system is clear, crisp and will get you up and shaking your booty if you crank it up. The front storage is awesome. Tons of room that's easily accessible and then you can pair it with the linQ system to round out your storage needs. Whether it's a cooler, extra fuel or extra dry storage the linQ system is an amazing add-on.
    As far as fitting on if you are truly not long legged I would say you would probably be okay. I'm a big dude "a sloppy 300" and not nearly as tall as you. I fit comfortably on it even though I'm not a huge fan of the seat because of the arrangements on the Stadium style seating. The little short back support for the driver is not my favorite.
    As one of the previous commenters said it is a thirsty machine. I'm a Gearhead as well and find it hard to keep out of the throttle when you got that much horsepower. I've rode plenty of the 230 horsepower machines and they would be fine most of the time but there's something about that 300 that just makes you smile when you grab a handful of throttle and chase down one of them yamma dogs!

I can't really put down the Yamaha's, they're making great machines as well and they are worth at least taking a look at. It has been a while since I rode a Kawasaki but the numbers do look good on paper.

Well that's my two cents! I welcome you to the PWC family, I promise it's going to be a great ride!

KyleClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20190126_220455.jpeg 
Views:	61 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	451720

Thanks guys. I can already see that this is a great forum just by the prompt, useful replies.

You definitely make me want the 300, although I'm not a huge fan of the 2019 limited color scheme. I do like the blue version.

I hadn't noticed the difference in required octane. This may be a sticking point.

The 91 octane requirement for the 300...

-Is it a hard requirement as in, the ski will run poorly and potentially experience detonation (engine knock) on 87?

-Or a soft requirement as in, won't make full power but will run just fine on 87?

There are places I would ride that may have an 87 pump but definitely don't have a 91+ pump.

Also, 230 vs 300. Theoretically if you rode them both the same way and tried to get the most range possible... does the 300 use dramatically more fuel simply because of displacement or should consumption be similar until I get the WOT itch?

Jesse

PS. Kyle, I like your color scheme. I wish the current blue color scheme could be had with the 300.

+1
    Don't discount the RXTX,same ST3 hull. Sit on both if you can to check the seats. Maybe the color choices will be better for you...

Last August I was doing the exact same research as you did and went with the GTX230 over the 300 for 2 reasons. The GTX230 will do 69.1 MPH on my GPS (shows 70 MPH on the GPS speedometer) and runs on 87 octane. My buddy went with the 300 and added a SCOM and yes he can smoke me all day long. His fuel burn is outrageous and the lake gas pumps only have 87 or 93 and it's expensive. I think he said 24 GPH at WOT vs, 18 GPH on my 230 at WOT. And finally as Bill has stated, the RXTX has the same hull as does the WakePro 230 if you want more color options.

Okay, so I'm now much more capable of having this conversation. I was just on a PWC for the first time. It was a Yamaha vx sport, 2012ish maybe. It was both of us on it and was an interesting experience for the first 30 - 45 minutes.

By the end of the 2 hours we were pretty comfortable cruising around. That said, please tell me that the modern st3 ski is dramatically different from this older vx sport. Stability specifically.

Obviously the addition of the ibr, by itself, is a big upgrade and even just the GTX 230 is more than double the power.

Although, it was kind of funny how hard the ski worked to get on plane with both of us on it.

I think the 230 will probably be the best choice for us for the same reasons rich said.

Thanks Bill, I'll look at the rxt.

+1
    My '19 color scheme is obviously not Factory. the "Dubai Brown" is definitely a love or hate relationship. For me it had to go. I literally took a seat off the rxt that was on the showroom floor and put it on the GTX, looked at my salesman and said make this ugly brown disappear. I removed all the brown and ordered a seat off of a RXT that had the same ST3 hull and was interchangeable.

As few as far as the fuel is concerned, here is another two cents of mine.
    First as it relates to the running premium fuel, these "300s" are high performance engines, producing close to 300 horsepower out of a 3 cylinder, 100 cubic inch motor. 3 horsepower per cubic inch is a massive number so when our friends from the north say use premium fuel you better do it.

Second I'm guessing if you're dropping 16 or 17 thousand on a recreational vehicle, that you're probably living comfortable enough to be able to afford the extra $10 to $15 per fill up that would be required for premium fuel.

Third, it's only fast if you make it fast, and you're only burning a high gallons per hour rate when you're ridding hard. I love to go fast but it's not like I jump on my machine and ride Full Throttle with my pants on fire the entire time. My 300 can sip fuel just like those 230 machine, my issue is engaging the governor on my right hand. And when my right hand won't behave, I have the motor tuners do it for me and put it in eco mode. There definitely can be issues with finding premium fuel out on the water. If there is, that could play a major roll in your purchase.

KyleClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_13921.jpeg 
Views:	48 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	451833

12. +1 by:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information