Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    I have two 2017 GP1800.

My approach is that the stock machines are a good starting point. Careful selection of aftermarket products can better align the handling and performance to my specific preferences.

Not sure what skitchy means, but the GP1800 does have a specific handling ‘feel’. The 2019 GP1800R has the upgraded factory ride plate and intake grate, which does improve tracking and cornering precision over the stock GP1800. I have Worx ride plate with Jim’s cut, which is longer but overall similar to the GP1800R ride plate.

2019 GP1800R intake grate is not bad, but a friend has GP1800 with the Riva intake stainless steel grate which he feels is noticeably better.

Last week we rode all these variations on a variety of water conditions. GP1800 and GP1800R are capable of being fast and quick, fun handling and yet competent riding at speed across rough water. The hull does bounce and play but it can cover distance and snake through a twisty path.

I ride mostly standing up, especially when the water is not smooth. I do find that my GP1800 turns differently when standing up and applying weight to the outside foot in a hard turn. Sitting down it still turns nicely but the tracking/feel is different.

I also have the Worx extension on the trim motor arm and find that I prefer riding with trim one or two clicks down when the water is not smooth or when I want maximum turning ability.

Regarding appearance, it is straightforward to remove unwanted factory graphics and to swap in different color body/hood/side panels and trim items. In the photo above only one is unchanged from the factory look.

Yes, the molded Yamaha plastic trim pieces can differ in shade from the painted hull surfaces. I don’t let it bother me, the machine is still fun to ride and looks good enough on the water.

Three summers on our two GP1800 and so far the hood has not made a mess of the front top paint despite how close the point of the hood seems to get to the painted surface.

Would I prefer that Yamaha had better paint durability and better color matching? Sure. But how it rides and handles matters a lot more. Same for a lot of other mostly minor gripes. I have posted fixes and work arounds for many.

With only three manufacturers left in the game, and only two actually putting out new hull designs, we have to work with the factory products that are available.

Appreciate all the useful feedback, thanks !

its just really hard for us to try and force yourself to like something if your not all that thrilled about how it looks and feels. The cruiser seat puts my nuts up into my stomach. The motor just doesnt feel as snappy and fun to ride at the kawi. like i said, we had an fzs, rode a 17 gp1800 a 19 gp1800r and trying to get our hands on a 19 fx svho. I visited a dealer in CT yesterday, he is willing to let us demo a fx but hate to have him prep one if we dont end up buying it. dont know what 2020 has in store for either yamaha or kawi,,,, wont ever consider a sea-doo unless everybody else goes out of business lol.....

ideally my wife would like the red limited with flat seat other than white,,,, i'd like the blue cruiser with a flat seat other than white. but it all comes down to actually riding one....

we really like the minimalistic design and looks of Yamaha's lower line skis, nice paint, sleek stylish, no gaudy plastic crap bolted all over the place with eye straining angles and graphics.... Their flagship FX should follow the same approach, it should be classy, sleek, appealing, dont know why they feel they have to bolt on a bunch of ugly useless plastic accent pieces that actually detract from how good it could / should look.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris288 View Post
    Appreciate all the useful feedback, thanks !

... not all that thrilled about how it looks and feels. The cruiser seat puts my nuts up into my stomach.

The motor just doesnt feel as snappy and fun to ride as the kawi. ...

we had an fzs, rode a 2017 gp1800, a 2019 gp1800r and trying to get our hands on a 2019 fx svho. ...

don't know what 2020 has in store for either yamaha or kawi,,,,

ideally my wife would like the red limited with flat seat other than white,,,, i'd like the blue cruiser with a flat seat other than white. but it all comes down to actually riding one....

I will mention that the SVHO engine responds quite nicely to aftermarket engine tunes.

I currently use the Riva MaptunerX Stage 1 Plus (Low Octane) tune, where Low Octane = 91 minimum. The Riva Stage 1 Plus tune wants 93 octane, and it does pull harder right through the mid-range and top end, including higher top speed.

Even the Low Octane tune is quite snappy. GP1800 top speeds can exceed 75mph (80mph is quite possible depending on the tune, water and air conditions, ride plate, etc).

Test riding a totally stock GP1800R can certainly give you a taste of what is possible, but unless a dealer (or friend) has one available that has been tuned nicely, that test ride is not giving you the full experience.

We often ride long distances and 91 octane is hard enough to find on the water, let alone 93. I also generally carry a lot of gear in front storage so my top speeds can be less than what others achieve.

The stock Yamaha GP1800 impeller is ‘OK’. Consensus is that the Solas impellers offer better launch and mid-range pull, less cavitation and better top speed. I have Solas on both of my GP1800. Works well.

Regarding seats, the seats from different years and trim levels can be swapped around, for the same Yamaha hull generation. For GP1800 you can fit any of the seats from (2015-2019) VXR, VXS, Cruiser, HO, etc. And of course Jet Trim offers custom seat covers in a wide range of fabrics and colors.

The 2019 FX SVHO is an all-new hull design, top and bottom. It typically takes a year or more for accumulated rider experience and the aftermarket to work out the best combinations of parts and settings for a new hull. The GP1800 was new for 2017 and the Riva ride plate availability was about a year later. That Riva ride plate made a big improvement to the handling, and is essentially what Yamaha now uses for the GP1800R.

My take
    (reading what others have reported) is that the 2019 FX SVHO is already a good hull but needs some aftermarket experience to get the best from it, especially the ride plate. I have not yet ridden the 2019 FX myself.

Chris288 it sure sounds like an ECU issue to me. They should be able to do an ECU swap and see what happens . . .

My 2014 310X needed an ECU change . . . KAW did it; that Ski has 120 hours on it now. It's the best running Ski of my 3 Ultras.

JB

Quote Originally Posted by john belton View Post
    Chris288 it sure sounds like an ECU issue to me. They should be able to do an ECU swap and see what happens . . .

My 2014 310X needed an ECU change . . . KAW did it; that Ski has 120 hours on it now. It's the best running Ski of my 3 Ultras.

JB

I tried 3 different ecu's in them. None of them solve the problem 100%

+1
    If you are looking for a great rough water machine, put your dislike of SD aside for just a few minutes and try a 19 RXTX.

6. +1 by:

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by john belton View Post

JB
    The 2019 issue JB is an easy fix...... a certain person we know posted here ..... a fuel pump has been the fix here in Aus for new 2019 skies presenting the same rpm range stumble/surge..... but I guess complaining that the dealer is a clown who is giving out bad personal opinions seems to be more common...I think simple issue on every bar and get blown out of portition due to shit house techs not being able to diagnose simple issues..... heck it's only a simple engine....
    Last edited by sirbreaksalot; 08-04-2019 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sirbreaksalot View Post
    The 2019 issue JB is an easy fix...... a certain person we know posted here ..... a fuel pump has been the fix here in Aus..... but I guess complaining that the dealer is a clown who is giving out bad personal opinions seems to be more common...
    Sir B I would consider this "good news". Replacing the Fuel Pump assembly with a new one should be pretty simple to do.

Hopefully Chris288 sees these recent Posts, and can take the appropriate actions. There's still alot of summer time riding left Chris! I hope this takes care of it, and it gets you back on the water in a New York minute! JB

Let me out of here......I need to go on Greenhulk!
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbreaksalot View Post
    The 2019 issue JB is an easy fix...... a certain person we know posted here ..... a fuel pump has been the fix here in Aus for new 2019 skies presenting the same rpm range stumble/surge..... but I guess complaining that the dealer is a clown who is giving out bad personal opinions seems to be more common...I think simple issue on every bar and get blown out of portition due to shit house techs not being able to diagnose simple issues..... heck it's only a simple engine....
    Who is responsible for solving this type of issue, the dealer or Kawasaki? If it is the dealer can the buyer go and find a different dealer to fix it under warranty?

My dealer was in direct contact with Kawi technical in California instructing them what to try.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris288 View Post
    My dealer was in direct contact with Kawi technical in California instructing them what to try.
    I have a brand new fuel pump off a 310 that I will donate to the cause.

If you PM me your address I would send it to you if you want to try that repair...

Fuel pump has ZERO HOURS.

Dave

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information