+1

2014 FX Cruiser HO - Impeller stuck to drive shaft?

So I took my ski into the dealer to have the Impeller and bearings replaced. Dealer stated the impeller would not come off the shaft and I had 2 choices.

Option 1. He could try and cut off with no guarantee it would work. In which case the labor trying to remove it that way would be added to Option 2.

Option 2. Replace the impeller, shaft, etc at a cost of 2k

Does this sound logical? Never heard of an impeller that wouldn't come off and would require a whole drive shaft replacement as well.

Any thoughts, comments?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    been there, done that. I guess the dealer is out of gas for his torch. I've had some kawasaki impellers gall on the shaft and when I finally did get them off ( after breaking a vise) the shaft and prop were junk

I think you could do better then 2k however. you don't need a dealer to do this kind of work btw, it's not beyond the scope of a guy handy with tools and some help from various forum members

+1
    I'd have to agree with nmpeter, and assume the service tech just isn't trying hard enough. Yet, in all fairness, he might be beholden/restricted (since this is a certified Dealership) to the conventional "Service Manual" method of removal technique, which limits from some more (cough cough) unorthodox methods I and some others here might suggest.

First, let address some science. Why would it get stuck?? All (shaft & impeller) are stainless, so the really isn't rust (duh), but more importantly no galvanic (electrical) corrosion that is going to lock-up that union. However, if the threads get galled, stainless can be a PITA - but in which case its trash anyways.

The main issue with this task being so darn tough is the grip the impeller gets on that aft thrust washer. The surface area back there and total torque (from riding) puts a lot of friction to over-come. It's why one smart aftermarket company had made a two-part "slip" thrust washer - made impeller swaps way easier as others have testified - wished I had got one.

Anyway, I once had a real doggy of a stuck impeller - yet still managed to remove it without damage. I use a combination of :
    a) penetrating oil - down front in the threads, and especially aft at the thrust washer.
    b) custom wrench - got a 6-point socket welded to a long piece of 1/4 steel tubing.
    c) bolted a vice to my garage floor to hold the shaft spline-holder.
    d) HEAT - especial down near the thicker aft section of the impeller, as to get the most heat to that thrust bearing area. Yes, you might cook the seals down there, but that's a lot cheaper to replace, and likely a good idea anyways.

Lastly, some here might be able to offer more unconventional techniques that include removing the stator nut and housing - which I think helps get some torque off the thrust washer - IDK, never tried it that way myself yet.

4. +1 by:

+1
    let me add one thing here....

2k will seem cheap when your 6 foot breaker bar slips off and cracks you in the mouth, requiring 4 implants at 5k each....

on the other hand...

you should price the job out to any independent in your area. I spied a bolt on complete jetpump for your model for $600 or so..that's with the shaft housing and impeller.

you can certainly do better then 2k + "labor"

one think for sure. Yamaha drivelines aren't even close to cheap when things go wonky. Kinda surprised a 2014 model needs such a large ticket job. does the ski have over 500 hours on it?

+1
    They're normally not galled, it just takes an extreme amount of torque to loosen them. If you're worried about knocking your teeth out, you're doing it wrong. There are several good threads on here concerning the same issue with various means of doing the job. The key is heat and a big a$$ vise. If you cant do it yourself, you're at the mercy of your local stealership.

+1
    I'm not worried about knocking my own teeth out, I know what I'm doing. Many do not.

My wife's friend works at the ER of our local hospital, you'd be surprised how many people don't know how to get a fishhook out of their finger, either.

( hint: get a good pair of diagonal cutters from the hardware store and cut the barb off)

BTW, the big ass vise shouldn't come from harbor freight, that's what leads to tooth loss.

Thread Information