Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cranking issues STX 1200R

Hi, I am having an issue getting my 1200r to crank over. If it were an old VW I would think it is a weak starter or solenoid, but with a 2 stroke jet ski I am a bit out of my wheelhouse... I swapped with a known good battery, cleaned the battery connections, and then even had jumper cables connected to the house battery in my bus, but nothing has changed the cranking behavior, here is a link to what it is doing.

and here is its sister craft that runs fine

Any suggestions on my next steps?

If it is a starter, does anyone know of a good video guide? or a step by step?

Be gentle I am a pwc newbie...

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Marc

I would start with a compression test. The bad motor doesn't sound right when it turns over. It might be hurt.

Edit: The clicking after it does turn over usually means a piston is getting hung up. It could be a starter or battery issue but I would start with a compression test for sure.
    Last edited by beekermartin; 07-30-2019 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post
    I would start with a compression test. The bad motor doesn't sound right when it turns over. It might be hurt.

Edit: The clicking after it does turn over usually means a piston is getting hung up. It could be a starter or battery issue but I would start with a compression test for sure.
    Scary... I will do that tonight, the ski was running fine when winterized at the end of season in 16 LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 3gear View Post
    Scary... I will do that tonight, the ski was running fine when winterized at the end of season in 16 LOL
    You could pull the plugs, hold your thumb over each spark plug hole and try to turn in it over to see if there is compression in each cylinder. You should be able to borrow a compression tester from a local auto parts store.

Thanks, I have a tester, old air cooled VWs are know to crap the bed on cylinder 3, a compression tester is quite handy.

cheers

Sounds like the start drive is getting hung up. Can you turn it by hand?

+1
    Might be the impeller dragging in the pump liner.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Might be the impeller dragging in the pump liner.
    Bingo! If it ran before it was winterized in 2016 then I am willing to bet that is your problem? I would start with pulling the pump. Really isn't that hard to do. I can do it in under 5 minutes now that I've done it so many times. All you need is a 10mm/12mm/14mm socket with a long extension, a flat head screwdriver to loosen the hose clamp and an allen key to remove the two bolts in the ride plate. You might need a crow bar to pry the pump loose as well. You should inspect the pump every season anyways so it can't hurt to start there.
    Last edited by beekermartin; 07-30-2019 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post
    Bingo! If it ran before it was winterized in 2016 then I am willing to bet that is your problem? I would start with pulling the pump. Really isn't that hard to do. I can do it in under 5 minutes now that I've done it so many times. All you need is a 10mm/12mm/14mm socket with a long extension, a flat head screwdriver to loosen the hose clamp and an allen key to remove the two bolts in the ride plate. You might need a crow bar to pry the pump loose as well. You should inspect the pump every season anyways so it can't hurt to start there.
    LOL

10. +1 by:

Let me out of here......I need to go on Greenhulk!
    +1
    Start by jumping the starter directly with 12v to the red wire that feeds the starter (handheld remote start button works best for this but can jump it out if dont have). That will remove all the other electrical equipment from the equation. If it turns fine then you know starter is good then you will have to diag further, if it does the same thing could be starter going bad. For this test you can leave the lanyard out so it doesnt start.
    Last edited by TMiller; 07-30-2019 at 08:52 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information