+1

How Many Hours On Your PWC Is Too Many?

It can be difficult to look at a personal watercraft for sale and see it with 200 hours on it. You may think to yourself, is that too high or does it still have a lot of life left? How can I know that I’m not buying a pile of junk? Or you happen to be looking at your own personal watercraft and asking yourself if it is time to buy a new one? Well lets dive into this widely discussed topic with the help from Steven at SteveninSales.com

More at WatercraftJournal.Com
    Last edited by Rustymuscle; 07-30-2019 at 12:28 AM.

+1
    Reasonable article, and great points on maintenance being a big factor in engine health. I'd like to only add that the article is obviously taken from mainly a 4-stroke perspective, as 4-strokes are pretty much the mainstream of resales now. And along those lines, I agree that maintanace-history is going to be more influential than total run hours, in regards to overall engine health.

However, in regards to 2-strokes, run hours are indeed still a top consideration, and should remain that way. This is mainly because 2-strokes are more vulnerable to operational wear than 4-strokes, because 4-stroke have superior lubrication systems. 200 hours on a 2-stroke will reflect a lot of wear, and can be evident on compression checks.

Ironically, the whole “total run hours = engine-health” mindset is born of the 2-stroke genre, which used to dominate marine engines. So what the article is trying to address perhaps, is that with this eventual transition into 4-strokes now being mainstream, we as consumers need to equally transition our mindset from that old “total-hours”, to rather a “maintenance-history” equates to engine-health.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Of course maintenance makes a difference but it only goes so far on a ski, its not a magic pill some people always pretend it is. I would never buy a ski that has 200 hours on it but I do understand why people do. Maintenance is not going to stop pump problems, electrical problems, or oil/coolant leaks. Even if you dont mind the problems and your mechanically inclined, your breaking down on the water, having to get towed, getting someone to get the trailer, ruining a vacation etc.

i would have no problems buying a 200+ hour ski. If it was a yamaha. #shotsfired.

6. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbs44 View Post
    Of course maintenance makes a difference but it only goes so far on a ski, its not a magic pill some people always pretend it is. I would never buy a ski that has 200 hours on it but I do understand why people do. Maintenance is not going to stop pump problems, electrical problems, or oil/coolant leaks. Even if you dont mind the problems and your mechanically inclined, your breaking down on the water, having to get towed, getting someone to get the trailer, ruining a vacation etc.
    I own a 200+ hour ski and would rather it than one with low hours left to rot for months on end without running.......seen plenty of low hour skis with issues higher hours means it’s running regularly 200 hours on a 5+ year old ski is still low......

Generally, a jet ski with more than 100 hours is considered a high hour jet ski. A jet ski should have approximately 30 hours a year on average. It is considered “high hours” if anything more than 30 hours per year. Needless to say, proper maintenance can lead to longer equipment life.

For more information on jet ski hours, you may want to check this out: https://jetskitips.com/jet-ski-hours/

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by raconnolly View Post
    Generally, a jet ski with more than 100 hours is considered a high hour jet ski. A jet ski should have approximately 30 hours a year on average. It is considered “high hours” if anything more than 30 hours per year. Needless to say, proper maintenance can lead to longer equipment life.

For more information on jet ski hours, you may want to check this out: https://jetskitips.com/jet-ski-hours/
    a) total hours, and b) total hours over time.

For (b), I’d sort of agree that a new-ish ski having more than 30 per year is high-hours when considering resale value - aka price-point.
    But for (a), consider a ski having 280 hours total, yet is 10 years old. Which is it … high or low hour ski ... both??
    Low - less than 30 per year. High - total is at 280 - just 20 less than so-called lifespan.

BTW, the link talks about "lifespan" being 300 - which I do not agree being accurate for 95% of skis being made these days (see link's quote) :

What is considered high hours on a jet ski?
    As a general rule to go by, a jet ski with more than 100 hours is considered a high hour jet ski. On average a jet ski should have approximately 30 hours a year. Anything more than 30 hours per year is considered “high hours”. Most jet ski models have a lifespan of approximately 300 hours, but if properly maintained they can last much longer.

So I think the link is of a “dated” mindset, as a 300 hour lifespan would be about right if considering an average 2-stroke platform. However, and I mentioned this back on post 2, 4-strokes re-define lifespan to easily 2,000+ hours. i.e., down here in FL, we virtually ride all year and can easily get 60-100hrs annually.

Thread Information